Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 1986 SE 2M6  (Read 18977 times)

oldone

• View Profile
1986 SE 2M6
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:18:07 pm »
I'VE RUN ACROSS A 1986 SE 2M6 THATS BEEN PARKED FOR AT LEAST 1-1/2 YEARS.  BODY IS IN GOOD SHAPE NO CRACKS OR DAMAGE( NEEDS PAINT). CAR IS V-6,AUTOMATIC,EQUIPPED WITH SUNROOF,REAR DEFROSTER,DOOR LOCKS,POWER WINDOWS,POWER MIRRORS,OPTIONAL GUAGES,AIR COND.,AFTERMARKET RADIO,. THE CARPET AND FLOOR MATS ARE IN GOOD CONDITION(NEED CLEANING) THE PASSENGER SEAT IS GOOD NO TEARS,THE DRIVERS SEAT HAS A COVER ON IT DON'T KNOW HOW IT LOOKS. HEADLINER IS SHOT AS ARE THE SUNVISORS. THE DASH HAS ONE TINY CRACK BY PASSENGER SIDE SPEAKER, BRUSHED SILVER PANEL AROUND GUAGES IS BROKE CLEAN THRU ON ONE SIDE. DOOR PANELS LOOK GOOD. ALSO HAS TRUNK RELEASE AND IT DOES WORK. GLASS ALL LOOKS GOOD. IT HAS LUGGAGE STRIPS ON BACK LID-NO WING. HAS REGULAR GT WHEELS(I THINK YOU CALL THEM TURBOS?) PROBALY NEEDS TIRES AND  BATTERY. SUPPOSELY CAR WAS RUNNING WHEN PARKED,ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ONE OWNER, ITS GOT 127,000 MILES ON IT,THE MOTOR LOOK OK LIKE EVERYTHING IS THERE,ITS DIRTY OF COURSE,BELTS LOOK PRETTY NEW? THE OWNER CAN'T FIND KEYS AT PRESENT,NOW BASED ON WHAT I'VE TOLD YOU WHAT'S IT WORTH AND WHAT SHOULD BE OFFERED?   I WILL BE WAITING WITH INTEREST.   THANKS  OLDONE(DEWEY) IN C'VILLE
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
Re: 1986 SE 2M6
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:27:29 pm »
I would offer them $500.00 since it's sit long enough for the calipers to seize up along with the engine. Tires will be dry rotted and have flat spots. Trans will have to be flushed and change the filter. You can get the headliner and visors recovered for about $65.00. If they can't find the keys, can they find the title?
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:18:35 pm »
HEY ROB, THEY HAVE THE TITLE, THIS CAR AND ABOUT 5 OR 6 OTHER CARS THIS GUY OWNS ARE SITTING AT A GARAGE THAT BUYS AND SELLS CARS AND DOES REPAIRS. THE OWNER IS A PRETTY OLD GUY AND IS EITHER VERY GOOD FRIENDS OR DISTANT RELATIVES TO THE PEOPLE THAT OWN THE GARAGE. THE GARAGE OWNER TOLD ME HE'S GOT ALL THE KEYS AND PAPERS IN SHOP , HE JUST HAS TO LOOK AROUND FOR THEM OR IF HE HAD TO HE WOULD JUST TAKE THE VIN NUMBER AND GO TO A DEALER AND HAVE SOME KEYS MADE. WHAT I'M WONDERING IS IF YOU CLEAN THE CAR UP AND CHANGE ANY FLUIDS OR PARTS (FILTERS,PLUGS,TIRES,BATTERY,ETC) IN OTHERWORDS JUST GET IT RUNNING WELL ENOUGH TO SELL, WHAT WOULD A CAR LIKE THAT BE WORTH. HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND ON THAT MODEL AND STILL BE ABLE TO SELL IT WITH OUT GOING OVERBOARD? ACTUALLY I KIND OF LIKE THE CAR EXCEPT FOR THE AUTOMATIC BUT IM' PRETTY SURE MY WIFE WOULD NOT GO FOR IT (SHE HATES FIEROS) OR SHE WOULD WANT ME TO SELL THE CORVETTE. BY THE WAY DID I MENTION THIS CAR HAS ANTS, LOTS OF ANTS      OLDONE IN C'VILLE

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:35:29 pm »
You should be able to put maybe $250 to $300 in tires, then get a battery for about $70, service the trans. and flush the cooling system for about $50 and you might be good to go, unless you have to replace the calipers, rotor, and pads then you can get into some money. So if you buy it for say $500 then put another $500 in it to fix it up, youmight be able to sell it for $1500 to $2000 depending on the mileage and how bad the paint it.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:35:47 pm »
THANKS ROB,  $500.00 IS WHAT I WAS THINKING ALSO AND I HAVE THE TIRES COVERED ALREADY, BUT NOT BEING A MECHANIC THE REST OF THE REPAIRS KIND OF CONCERN ME. IF I WAS BUYING IT FOR MYSELF I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BOTHER ME AS MUCH. THIS CAR IS RED WITH TAN INTERIOR. THERES A BLACK BAND ALONG THE BOTTOM WITH THIN BLACK STRIPES ABOVE IT AND THE WORD FIERO IN YELLOW? DOES THIS SOUND FACTORY? IT LOOKS ORIGINAL TO THE REST OF THE CAR. THE RED PAINT IS FADED PRETTY BAD, I DON'T KNOW IF BUFFING WOULD HELP OR NOT. THE FOLKS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING THE KEYS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER AND LET ME SEE IT RUNNING. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHATS GOING ON WHEN I FIND OUT.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:54:13 pm »
The graphics doesn't sound standard for an SE.  Possibly an owner or dealer applied addition.  To compare, take a look at this link from Craigslist Atlanta.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/894039545.html

Rob's right about the brakes.  If it's been sitting that long, expect to replace or rebuild the front calipers.  And ants will eat up the wiring in the car. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:28:39 am »
thanks charlie,   that looks like it only in red and says fiero right above the thin stripes. i can get the ants out without much trouble, don't know if any harm has been done to the car. if i don't buy it i'll post the phone number in case anyone else is interested. i wonder how much it would cost to change it to a getrag 5-speed? probably more than the car is worth.         oldone in c'ville

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:21:24 pm »
Yeah, there's a lot involved in converting from auto to manual.  Engine wiring harness for a manual and automatic are different, ECM is different, clutch pedal assembly with Neutral Start Clutch-in safety switches and related harnesses attached to the clutch for disengaging the cruise would be needed, then you'd have to get the complete hydraulic system and install the line from the master to the slave cylinder, which can be a beatch.  Then swap out the shifter and cables.  The steering column is different due to the lockout on the manual, but I've heard of people using the automatic column.  Probably much more.  I've only listed the things I recall hearing or reading about.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 08:38:12 pm »
charlie it sounds like one of those things you're better off not starting. how about going from a 4-speed to a 5-speed? where do you get getrag 5-speeds and approx how much are they? another question if you have the time, what size tire would fit on a 7" x 17" set of mag wheels on a fiero? i picked up a set still in the boxes a while back off of craigs.  i was trying to get the fiero back together to go to the meeting but i just ran out of time.      oldone in c'ville

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:20 am »
Changing one manual for a different manual isn't a major problem.  Getrags tend to be a little more costly than the other trannies.  The Isuzu 5-speed is plentiful because it was available in all 85-88 4-cylinders, while Getrags were available only for 2 1/2 years, those years being the lowest production years.  The Isuzu holds up pretty well unless you're going to really beat on it, like at the drag strip, but then if you blow it, they're usually available for under $150. 

To change from a 4 to a 5 speed Isuzu can be done for as little as the cost of the transmission, a throwout bearing, and the shifter and cables.  The Getrag would require the additional purchase of a slave cylinder, I believe.  I'm thinking the 85/86 4-speed slave is the same as the Isuzu and the Getrag is different in its size and bore.

I can't help you with the aftermarket wheels.  As with any wheel, the offset is a big factor in what size tire you can fit under the car.  I've only dealt with the stock Fiero wheels, and I can tell you that on the 15 inch cross lace wheels, you can get 215/60/15's under the front without scrubbing, and 255/60/15's under the rear of the 84-87's.  The rears have less than 1/8 inch clearance to the strut with that size, but don't scrub.

Edit:  Found this link on Pennocks.   http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058236.html    There are several other threads.  In the Technical section do a search for "wheel offset" 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:38:46 am by Fierofool »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:46:36 pm »
what size tire would fit on a 7" x 17" set of mag wheels on a fiero?

It depends on what you had on the car originally. If you have a GT, with 215/60R15 stock tires (rear), or a base coupe, with 185/75R14 tires, you can use either 225/45R17 rear and 215/45R17 front, or you can use 205/50R17 all around, and your speedometer will be fairly accurate. If you have an 85 GT or an 86/87 SE that uses 215/60R14 tires,  your new wheels with any sensible tire size will be too big, and your speedometer will not be accurate. But you can change the speedometer gear to fix that.
I use 205/50R17 all around on my 88 coupe.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 07:23:06 pm »
Anytime you use a tire that's taller than the stock 215/60/15 on the rear, you will be registering slower MPH than you are actually running.  In my case with the 245/60/15's, I replaced my stock 30 tooth VSS gear for a 29 tooth.  This speeds up the speedometer, but it's not enough to make it accurate.  It's still off by 10 %, where the 30 tooth was off by about 15%.  I just calculate my mileage as such:  Showing 60 MPH, add 10%=66 MPH real speed.  Showing 65 MPH, add 10%=71.5 MPH real speed.

My brother is running 255/60/15's on the rear of his with an stock wheels and an automatic.  I've never heard of another gear available for the automatic VSS, but logically the autos that came in the cars with 14 inch wheels should have one different than the ones that came with 15 inch wheels, unless the recalibration was accomplished by the final drive gear in the transmission that drives the VSS.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:35:43 am »
well after hearing all the drawbacks in going from a automatic to a stickshift i've decided to pass on this one. this car is in rome ga. the name of this place is " georgia auto brokers " , 706-232-3242. they are asking $800. the vin no# on the car is 1g2pf3798gp224982. dewey in c'ville    ps- ask for butch.   thank you
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:44:55 am by OLDONE »

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 05:00:44 pm »
just an FYI all manual 2000+ cavalier/sunfire are getrag tranny's and and pre 2000 cavalier/sunfires are isuzus.

and here is a post on swapping gears between the two : http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=16133&t=16133