Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 3100 swap  (Read 21080 times)

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
3100 swap
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:55:16 pm »
me and my dad were discussing the engine in his 90 grand prix while our heads were in the engine bay of my car today.  is the there a write up out there on swapping one in a fiero? i'm curious what my wallet would have to produce to actually do it. we have a complete donor car. the tranny wont go in reverse, so i'm wondering if the tranny are compatible.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 3100 swap
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:57:53 am »
If it's a 60 degree V6, the tranny bolt pattern should be the same.  The 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 all share the same basic design.  I have noticed though that with GM motors, you may have 2 motors that are the same displacement, but are totally different.  Often times, the engines with zero zero on their displacement tend to be aluminum head engines and are different from the ones that have a decimal point in their displacement designation.  For example the 3.4 and the 3400.  Generally speaking, aluminum head engines aren't direct replacement engines for our 2.8.  I have a 2.8 with aluminum heads sitting in my garage.  The only thing useable in a Fiero is the block.  Everything else must be replaced, including all the internals.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:52:45 pm »
Hey Charlie: Aluminum heads? Would they work on a Fiero 2.8 if you're not using other Fiero peices? Like using an S-10 distributor? What is the intake like? Is it FI or carbed?
Thanks,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China!   >:(

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »
Hey Charlie: Aluminum heads? Would they work on a Fiero 2.8 if you're not using other Fiero peices? Like using an S-10 distributor? What is the intake like? Is it FI or carbed?

Paul, The aluminum head V6s are FI and coil packs.
No distributor, and no way to install one, due to the intake manifold being in the way.
This is the biggest problem with installing them in a Fiero. You can't use the original ECM or engine harness.

The next biggest problem is the accessory mounting. The Fiero brackets won't bolt up because the bolt holes in the face of the heads are in different places, or missing entirely.
Seems like i have heard of them being adapted, but it required some creative grinding, if not welding. (Which is definitely a problem for those of us who don't know how to weld.)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:08:32 pm »
I think we've kinda hijacked cogcavi's thread.  The 2.8 I have is from a late 80's or early 90's GM before they went to the 3.1.  Same motor that was used in the Beretta/Corsica, and a few others.  It has a place for a distributor, but like Raydar says, the intake is in the way.  I checked into using it in a Fiero and found that only the block is useable.  Crank, rods, pistons, cam, and heads must be discarded in favor of the 88 internals.  Then everything else will bolt on, I understand.  It's a low mileage 70,000 mile engine with everything on it.  This is an interference engine with the heads and pistons.  I think it's rated at 160HP.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:44:14 am »
I think we've kinda hijacked cogcavi's thread. 
He'll get over it.  ;D
What I was thinking was using the heads on a Fiero 2.8. Would the bottom Fiero intake fit them? Only accessory I'll need is the alt., & I can make brackets for that. Would save a lot of weight on the solo car...

cogcaviz24: If you pull the engine & make a pattern of the bellhousing (with cardboard or something), you're welcome to come by & compare it to the Fiero transes (transi? :D ) I have around.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:10:46 am »
Paul, I couldn't tell you if they'd interchange or not.  But, I wouldn't separate the engine.  It has everything on it except the alternator, ps pump, and starter.  Based on what I'm told about having to change out the internals of the engine, I'd say that the heads won't interchange with the intake.  Otherwise, I could have used the internals with either heads.  The FWD 2.8 with aluminum heads has domed pistons.

I'll do some searching and see what I can find about the 3.1 swap.

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:27:43 am »
I'm not positive but if I remember right the S10 heads are identical to the Fiero heads with the exception that the exhaust ports are smaller in the S10 head and the valves are bigger in the Fiero head. I think the intake will work but I left my S10 intake with Paul and I can't sit it on this spare engine I have.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:32:29 am »
Cogcavi, check out this thread.  The 3100 can be installed, but it's not an easy job.  I didn't read the whole thread, but there are modifications to the engine, mounts, waterpump, wiring and other things that must be done.  You can make your 2.8 into a 3.1 much easier, by changing the crank and boring it out.  Apparently there is a difference in the 3100 and the 3.1

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077852.html

Here's another and it leads to the one above.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/090642.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:04:20 am by Fierofool »

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 09:11:35 am »
yeah, i found that thread shortly after posting. sounds like a 3100 swap is more trouble than it's worth.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:18:31 am »
Yeah, and here's another. Lotsa things need to be changed.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088457.html

If you want to add some free HP, just drop in a 93-95 Camaro/Firebird engine.  Everything on the Fiero motor bolts right onto it and visually, you can't tell the difference in the 2.8.  Gives you about 160 HP. 

Now, I understand that the 3.1 or 3.3 from the Grand Ams have iron heads and are also an almost direct bolt in.