Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: distributor timing  (Read 15225 times)

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
distributor timing
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:45:59 am »

When installing a distributor in the V6 engine
Not knowing what position it was when it was in.
whats the procedure for fitting and connecting the new spark plug leads
I know the firing order is 123456
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: distributor timing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:25:54 am »
If you have a compression tester, install it into the # 1 spark plug hole.  You may need a 2nd person to watch the gauge.  If you don't have a compression gauge, stick a finger into the hole.

Turn the engine clockwise by using a wrench on the crankshaft pulley.  When you see or feel the compression start to rise, continue to turn until the timing mark lines up with the timing indicator.  If you are turning the engine from the top and can insert a small screwdriver into the sparkplug hole, you can feel the piston when it hits top dead center and starts to go back down.  If you pass TDC, back the engine up slightly and move it forward again until you see the timing marks line up. 

On a manual trans car, I get the car on level ground before doing this.  I put it in 4th gear and with the 1,3 and 5 plugs removed, I can use my knees to push the car forward a little at a time until my timing marks line up.  Once you've lined up the marks, set the parking brake or take the vehicle out of gear and block the wheels.  This is so that you don't turn the engine while leaning against the car as you complete the job.

Determine the position you want the ignition module terminals to point so you can unplug them if you need to replace a module.  Holding the distributor with both module terminals facing you, set the pointer on the rotor button at the 3 o'clock position.

Insert the distributor down into the engine with the rotor button installed on the distributor.  If it doesn't seat completely down, use the other hand to turn the rotor button back and forth.  This will help mesh the gears and the oil pump drive shaft.  When they're both engaged, the base of the distributor will drop down  to almost flush with the top of the engine.  Install the distributor hold down but do not fully tighten the bolt.

Now, look at the pointer on the rotor button.  Brace your hand or a screwdriver on the engine, pointing directly at the tip of the rotor button.  Set the distributor cap on the distributor and rotate the whole distributor until one of the sparkplug wire leads lines up with your finger or pointer.  This should be the terminal for spark plug # 1.  If your ICM terminals are blocked by the coil, rotate the distributor clockwise until the next wire terminal lines up with your pointer then snug the hold down bolt. 

Install your plug wires in a clockwise direction.  This should be close enough to get the engine started.  If it doesn't start, you might try what I do and install the ignition coil wire and the ICM connectors. 

If you didn't use a compression tester or finger to determine the compression stroke, your timing could be off by 180 degrees.  Not to worry.  The engine will probably backfire a few times.  It may or may not run, but very poorly.  No need to remove the distributor.  Simply remove the # 1 wire from the distributor cap.  Remove the wire from the opposite side of the cap (#4) and swap places.  Continue doing this in a clockwise direction, (#2 & #5,)  (#3 & #6).  Try starting the engine. 

Once the engine is running, rotate the distributor to accomplish a smooth run and let the engine warm up.  Once it's warmed, shut it down, insert a jumper into the A & B terminals on the ALDL and set the timing with a timing light.  When the timing is set and the distributor locked down, turn off the ignition, remove the jumper from the ALDL. 

Restart the engine and take out down the road like a Bat out of Berambering. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers