Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Electronic Door Loocks Don't Work  (Read 15161 times)

Red85gt

• View Profile
Electronic Door Loocks Don't Work
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:34:01 am »
Hi All,

When I push the lock buttons, I hear a clicking noise but the locks don't actually lock or unlock. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Re: Electronic Door Loocks Don't Work
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:10:28 am »
Do you see any movement at all on the locks?  Like it is trying, but just doesn't have the power to complete it?  Most older Fieros require multiple presses of the button to make the locks work.

Either way...it is either a weak solenoid, or a physical problem with the rods...not an electrical issue.  First, I would pull the door panel, and clean/regrease the rods to make sure they are working smoothly.  Also, verify the rod hasn't fallen off the solenoid.  If that doesn't fix it, then replace the solenoids.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:40:13 am »
Do you see any movement at all on the locks?  Like it is trying, but just doesn't have the power to complete it?  Most older Fieros require multiple presses of the button to make the locks work.

Either way...it is either a weak solenoid, or a physical problem with the rods...not an electrical issue.  First, I would pull the door panel, and clean/regrease the rods to make sure they are working smoothly.  Also, verify the rod hasn't fallen off the solenoid.  If that doesn't fix it, then replace the solenoids.

X2

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
If you replace your actuators ("solenoids"), consider using aftermarket actuators. You may have to "jury rig" them in, but they are MUCH stronger than stock actuators, and your doors will lock and unlock even if they need lubrication.
And they are dirt cheap.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:32:30 pm »
I used PB Blaster on everything that moved. . . especially that little 'slotted' guide button near the middle of the door.
Also check your connections for corrosion.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.