Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New String - Upper Ball joint and Lower Control arm  (Read 17441 times)

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
New String - Upper Ball joint and Lower Control arm
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:53 am »
Thanks for the tips - I got the top Ball joint to pop waiting on UPS now to finish that, and i got a OE like replacement, and flat side was up, got the lower control arm off and the metal sleeves out - I am reading on how to get the rubber out, I have the proper tools I believe, the same press that I pushed out the metal sleeve with. (borrowed from Advance auto) Anyone need the tool while I have it checked out ?  ;D

I might just have the metal Blue car out on the road tomorrow for the alignment - Assuming I can get the spring back on.

Oh one tip - the steering rack is in the way to get the forward LCA bolt out - I was able to force by it without damaging the rubber I hope it goes in better. I may need a new bolt, this one was a little rusty and deteriated.

people like pictures:

Randy ~ of Acworth

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
Re: New String - Upper Ball joint and Lower Control arm
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:41:08 am »
one more picture.

Randy ~ of Acworth

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:53:18 pm »
Did you use the balljoint press to push out the control arm bushings?  I rented one like that for the ball joints and found it to be almost useless for ball joints.  Had to do a lot of rigging with 1 inch drive sockets to get it to work. 

Glad it has some use other than ball joints. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:44:24 pm »
Yes i used that kit for the LCA Bushings. Its titled Ball joint and U joint service set. I cannot see how I would use that for ball joints unless it was for the lower balljoint then I see a way as long as it was off the car completely. It was Free to borrow from advanced of course with a credit deposit.

In the process, the rubber looked original and it pooped out with some force from that C Clamp with the outer sleeve attached. Then i used a differnt size 2" i think and push about four different areas of the rubber and then once down the middle and the rubber pushed out. I have most of it back together and I am looking up torque values. It was a little of a cursing party in here for a little while trying to get the LCA back in there. My strength was not helpful and the jack seemed to bind everything up. So finally i just started putting it all back together with spring and all and the spring seemed to help center everything so the bolts would go through. I will post a pick in a bit of the set and I bought Rodneys tool for the Ball joints - That did it; I was only changing the upper so I didnt have to popped the bottom just will have to reset torque.

Fun stuff - I may be able to align it tomorrow and come out Saturday. I cannot wait - I just put new front shocks on too.

Randy
Randy ~ of Acworth

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:47:12 pm »
Here are the pics.

Anyone have an extra Tie Rod end laying around the head of the bolt stripped and a DIE did not fix it, it now just made it hard to tighten and so now the tie rod is spinning and I cannot get it torqued down.

I will order one tomorrow If I dont hear from anyone; they are nowhere in the stores.

That black lever is what i used to take off the Tie rod - Some how that or my hammering hit the tie rod.

This is what I used to keep the spring as loaded as i could.

This is the Ball joint remover I got from Rondeys.

Here is what stripped...
Randy ~ of Acworth

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:33:26 pm »
Yes, I rented the tool in your first picture and I did the ball joints with the control arms on the car.  Some of the adapters wouldn't fit up inside the control arm contours so I had to use some one inch drive sockets that I had to get in there and press on the ball joint.   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »
Yay! I unstripped the Tie Rod!!!! Progress...
Randy ~ of Acworth

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:46 am »
Project complete:

- R&R LCA bushings replaced with Poly (completed the work the previous owner started.)

- R&R the top left Ball joint.

- R&R front shocks with Monroe Sensa Trac.

- Greased the front end.

- R&R rear L and R side turn signals (Thanks Don for the Clip - it was the shorter of the two you gave me.)

I took the car to Tires plus on Wade Green and hickory grove and the alignement is great.

Went for a short ride and now to return all the tools...

... on the road again...  8)
Randy ~ of Acworth