Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: oops? 4 speed  (Read 16551 times)

scottb

• View Profile
oops? 4 speed
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »
ummmmmmmm....... getting closer to being road ready.......

Changing the fluid in the gear box, pulled the VSS thingy to fill it. Sensor and gear successfully removed. But, is there anything below the gear to hold it in place? I thought i heard something go "tink" when I pulled everything. Just need some assurance for some peace of mind: as in I don't want to pull the gearbox yet.

Thanks,
Scott

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: oops? 4 speed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:16 pm »
If the gear is still there, you should be OK. I don't recall anything else beyond the gear. I've done trans fluid on 2 manuals, but both were 5-speed Isuzu's.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:53 pm »
I've done fluid on all 3 manuals, but I don't recall having looked in while the trans was drained, but from the impression I've gotten from others, there is a small ledge down there.  I'd have to think that is the case, else the ring gear that drives the speedo would pull the plastic gear off the shaft when you go into reverse. 

Did you drop the retainer tab that holds the VSS? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:28 am »
i can verify that there is indeed a ledge directly under the vss and gear.  it will support the gear, but only up until the moment you reach for the gear (that fell off the vss that you just man-handled out of it's home), at which point it jumps off and remains just at the edge of your grasp, taunting you, moving further away with every try.....don't ask me how i know.....
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 07:48:03 am »
OK, thats good news. I didnt measure anything, it just looked to me like there should something under the gear to hold it in place.

Can anyone verify what the capacity is? I keep finding different specs. Everything on the internet is true, right?

Thanks, Scott

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:49 am »
It's about 2.7 quarts.  I'd strongly recommend that you pull the gear off the VSS to avoid dropping it into the trans as you insert and remove the VSS while you check for the correct level.  I'd also recommend going to AutoZone and getting some Penzoil Manual Transmission Fluid.  Same as GM Synchromesh Fluid. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:10:26 am »
you mean gear oil isnt right??????????? I know, i picked up synchromesh last night.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »
i used motor oil in my 4speed.  was i not supposed to?  that's what the manual called for.... :-X

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:17 am »
Early on, 5 w 30 motor oil was the recommended lubricant, both for the 4-speed Muncie and the 5-speed Isuzu.  At some point, and I think that was in 86 that they changed to recommending Synchromesh.  I don't know if it came about with the introduction of the Getrag, but it did include the Isuzu, which was identical to the 85 Isuzu. 

Lots of people, including myself, have changed the early 4 and 5 speeds to Synchromesh without any problems, and usually with improvement of shifting. 

I don't know if the change from 5 w 30 was due to GM wanting to make a few extra bucks by providing something claimed to be necessary for the transmissions at more than twice the cost of readily available motor oil, or because there was something different about the later transmissions.  Whatever the case, most of us have found, or think we've found, that the transmission shifting is smoother with Synchromesh.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:17 pm »
I heard that it was something to do with the brass synchronizer rings in the transmission being corroded by detergents in regular motor oil.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »
dough! :-\