Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New to fieros, not new to cars in General  (Read 15274 times)

94blackbird

New to fieros, not new to cars in General
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:21 pm »
Hi all! My name is Jim, and I have a problem....
I have cars on the brain and could probably be legally diagnosed as an addict.

I have a big intro thread typed out over on Pennock's, but the scope of my operation has changed a little since I decided to get this little project up and running. Well, multiple projects really. Right now it's the hunt for a running, functionable daily driver that is fun (last one I bought was a rotted out turd, but I needed something RIGHT NOW at the time as the only thing I had to drive was a 1 ton with a bad clutch.) Fast forward to now, and I have 4 partial parts cars, 1 good car (once I complete my end of the bargain I made for it that is) and 3 more that I need to pick up once I have space.

I also have 2 Northstar v8's sitting here, and a quandry. Do I go 5 speed Getrag, or do I buy/build a controller and go paddleshifted 4t80e? So I have decided that I will build both and the one I like the least will get put up for sale.

It will be awhile before either of these cars see the light of day, as the priority right now is to get a car that I can drive and keep miles off my truck (that 1 ton with the bad clutch cost me 800 in parts to fix.)

These fieros are not my only automotive endevour, I have a 94 Trans Am that I am building into a race car. For now it's getting a twin turbo 383, but in the future once I get a couple of concepts I have for turbocharging and suspension worked out, it'll likely get a DOHC LSx that will be a destroked 6.0. For what I want the car to ultimately do I'll likely need 1500 to 2000hp.

A little more about me, I am a United States Marine who got hurt and couldn't play anymore, so I got out and decided that I would play racecar instead. I currently work at a race shop specializing in blown alcohol and nitro applications. I hold an associates in applied science of high performance and racing technology, and when I'm not working at the shop, I'm working on my own stuff/other peoples stuff at home.

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: New to fieros, not new to cars in General
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:37:00 am »
Welcome to the forum!  Depending on where you hail from, there are several (close to Atlanta) to three (Augusta) to zero (Valdosta) people that meet regularly that have been forced to become experts on these cars. There's a wealth of information in these guy's heads and is worth picking. The northstars sound fun, but they ain't worth a flip unless you pull the heads and insert liners into the headbolt threads, or less they'll pull out eventually. 
Other than that, the rest is nuts and bolts.
What part of the state are you in?
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

94blackbird

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:37:19 pm »
I'm actually living up in Ohio right now but do travel in search of cars from time to time.

Northstars are one of those engines that is very finnicky about maintenance. Specifically the coolant change interval. They get such a bad rep because people are lazy and want to blame the car. The one i have that is still in the car has over 250k on the clock and still going strong ( if the rest of the car wasnt a rotted out turd) Both engines will be tip top before the one I like the least moves on.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:14 am »
I had the same experience. Took care of mine and sold it at 305k...still running strong. My secret?  Drop those tablets that gm svc bulletins tell you to when you should and they fill up the head gasket when the head warps.
The deville CONCOURSE (it has center console and bucket seats), with its computer produced 302 horsepower right out the box. If you can find one of those jewels, you setup is basically complete. That was a great car! 
I'm 100% curious to see how yours turns out....
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)