Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Battery terminal caps?  (Read 13914 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Battery terminal caps?
« on: September 25, 2019, 08:04:53 pm »
Whatever they're called.  Those plastic things that go over the cables at the battery terminals.  My Fiero doesn't have them.  Should it?

I have mixed feelings on these.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Battery terminal caps?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 09:28:05 pm »
If you have a dual terminal battery with both top and side terminals, plastic caps on the top posts could be beneficial in case a grill or tool is dropped on top.  For side posts, you should have no problems so long as the battery hold down is in place.  The Fiero didn't come with any formed cover made onto the cables, so GM apparently felt there was no real safety issue.  Lots of side terminal battery vehicles have no shield over the terminals. 

If you have unused top posts and really want a pair of caps to go on them, I'll see if I can't get a couple from the local battery manufacturer where I buy my batteries.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Battery terminal caps?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:45:43 pm »
I only use side-terminal batteries in my Fiero.

I asked, because my trucks all have side-terminal batteries, and have at least 1 cap.  I have caps, but usually find that they're in the way--particularly on the ATVs.