Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Oil leak near driver's side rear  (Read 14570 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Oil leak near driver's side rear
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:32:13 pm »
There I was trying to remove my speed sensor so I could replace the o-ring when I noticed a puddle of oil above it on the engine.  Makes me think the 0-ring is not the problem. So now I have three questions:
1. How do I pull out the speed sensor?  Haynes made it sound like it would just lift out.
2. Where is my oil leak coming from?
3. How do I fix it?

BTW, '88 GT manual transmission.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak near driver's side rear
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:05 pm »
How about the distributor O-ring.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:42:40 pm »
Oil above might be coming from one of two sources.  The lower intake could be leaking at the end where it meets the block.  There's not a gasket there.  RTV sealant is used.  The more likely place is that the distributor O-ring is the culprit. 

The VSS does just lift out.  Well, kinda.  There's the hold down tab secured by a bolt with a 10mm head.  Those need to be removed.  Clean around the VSS well before removing using compressed air if available.

The gear on the bottom of the VSS is just slightly smaller than the hole the VSS sits in, so, be careful as you remove the VSS that you don't snag the gear and drop it into the trans.  Usually it's gone when it falls back inside.  If you can get both hands hold of it, put the outside edges of your hands against the transmission and use them as leverage as you grasp and rock the VSS.    Similar to trying to remove the cork from a bottle so that it doesn't pop out all at once.  You might need to bump the perimeter of the VSS with a mallet or tap it using a hammer and a drift to break the seal.  Don't strike too hard.  Just an easy bump going around and around to break the seal.  On the shaft collar are 2 marks.  Those are high and low fluid levels.  Some VSS's are marked with FULL or LO, others just have 2 grooves around the collar. 

If you are wanting to check fluid levels and have a Getrag, look just above the left axle boot to see if there's a dipstick.  Makes it very easy.  Just unscrew. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:01:14 am »
I met with Pgackerman this Saturday at cars and Coffee, he reported that was the distributor o-ring that was the culprit and it was repaired under warranty from an earlier distributor install at his shop.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)