Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Rear Brake Replacement Problems  (Read 15045 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Rear Brake Replacement Problems
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:02:54 pm »
I need help, guys.  Physical help.  I am exhausted, having worked on the right side for about 6 hours.  I already replaced the right side rear brake pads, but I have a stripped caliper bolt head on the driver's side.  I don't have a torx bit to remove the cable bracket that surrounds the lower bolt head and I don't have a Torx Bit that will fit the bolt that holds the bracket on.  I believe if the bracket were removed, enough of the bolt head would be exposed to grab it with a big pair of vice grips. 

I have the car up on stands and that's where it will remain until fixed.  Can anyone give me a hand?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

oldone

• View Profile
Re: Rear Brake Replacement Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
Charlie is there anything I can do ?
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:42:13 pm »
Hey, Dewey.  I just got off the phone with Pat.  He's coming over tomorrow afternoon and bringing some Torx bits and other tools.  If we can't get this thing off, it just might become the cheap Fiero you're looking for.  Five speed, 3.4 engine, leather seats, everything works.  'Cept maybe the brakes. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »
If all else fails, hit up harbor freight and purchase a left handed drill bit set. Drill it out. 
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »
I have an industrial grade set of removers http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1512.0  You may not be able to open the link unless you're signed in.    Getting into the area is difficult.  A ratchet with a torx socket is just a little too long to get a straight alignment into the bolt.  Pat and I discussed putting a jack underneath the control arm to maybe gain a little clearance.  With the suspension hanging, the control arm angles downward.  That drops the lower caliper bolt down enough that the control arm interferes. 

Pat says he has a good selection of torx bit sockets, so we may be able to get the bracket off.  If so, a pair of vice grips should be able to break the bolt loose.  It's surrounded by the e-brake cable bracket.