Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Are f23 trans and 3800sc compatible?  (Read 15056 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Are f23 trans and 3800sc compatible?
« on: December 24, 2015, 12:53:37 pm »
I'm curious if the 3800sc would eat up an F23 or should I stock to the sturdy Muncie gt 4speed?
The automatic is not an option, so please don't even think about posting to keep the original mated auto!  That's the wuss way out.....not my path. (No offence to wussies)
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Are f23 trans and 3800sc compatible?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:09:40 pm »
There's  a guy on Pennocks that has an F23 bolted to a turbo'd 3800. He seems to like it.
There are a couple of gotchas, though.
The clutch flywheel assembly will likely end up being "shorter" than stock. Most people use a spacer between the release bearing and the pressure place fingers. NOT doing this will allow the release bearing to over extend and pop apart.
Also, many of the usual pressure plates are too tall around the edges (which would seem to be a contradiction of the first  point, but it is what it is) and will hit the inside of the bell housing, where it bulges out to accommodate the differential.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Are f23 trans and 3800sc compatible?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 07:08:44 pm »
Contact Chris, username Jeb Stewart on this forum.  He has an ad on the 2nd page of the market for an 87 3800SC.  He went through the problems where the pressure plate knocked a hole in the transmission.  He may be able to offer some guidance. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers