Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Blew out htob! Grrrr! How do you change out clutch without dropping tranny?  (Read 15006 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Is it possible to get to the clutch without dropping cradle/tranny?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've heard it can be done by tilting the cradle, but I can't imagine it being as easy as dropping the cradle.
You'll appreciate the room to work with the cradle out of the car.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
This is a modified version of the "cradle tilt" method.
It requires a way to suspend things from overhead. (I use an A-frame. Rafters and floor joists can also work.)

I raised the rear of my car and put jackstands under the rear of the floor. 
I supported the engine with a chain fall, and supported the trans with a come-along - both hung from an A-frame.
I disconnected the knuckles at the bottom, and removed the axle nuts and axles. (Only loosened the three strut nuts at the top.)
I unbolted the engine and trans mounts (unbolted the rear trans mount from the trans) loosened the front cradle bolts and removed the rear cradle bolts, allowing the cradle to swing down from the engine. (Careful. It's pretty heavy.)
I unbolted the trans, and separated it from the engine, and lowered it down with the come-along. I let it land on a 2x8 that served as a ramp, to allow it to slide off of the lowered cradle and out from under the car.

You can probably leave the calipers and brake lines attached, if you don't remove the struts from the car. You will need to disconnect the parking brake cables, however, since they swing down with the cradle.

This procedure is nearly as much of a PITA as dropping the cradle, except you don't have to disconnect the coolant lines and electrical stuff. Just be careful that you don't test the tensile strength of... anything.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:53:24 pm by Raydar »

f85gtron

• View Profile
I can't get the front cradle bolts loose, hence the question. I can get the rear bolts out and cradle tilted. Looks like I'm going that route.
I've got to install a new htob and come up with a spacer. Should I shim out the htob at the base, or use a throwout bearing spacer cap?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)