Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: AC system O-ring lube  (Read 14083 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
AC system O-ring lube
« on: July 02, 2018, 02:58:43 pm »
I've been in an online discussion about various areas of the Fiero AC system.  Lubrication of the O-rings was part of the topic. 

There has always been uncertainty about what to use to lubricate O-rings when converting from R12 to R134a, or for that matter, when just replacing system components.  Lubing the O-rings with PAG oil is reported to cause corrosion problems around that area.  Using a different oil than is in the system raises fears of contamination of the system due to the incompatibility of the oils.

According to the product details, Nylog Blue is the solution to our concerns.  I will be picking up a bottle and it will be available to all Georgia Fiero members.

Nylog Blue is a viscoelastic fluid made from synthetic refrigeration grade compressor oil. Nylog Blue is fully miscible and compatible with all system refrigerants and oils.  Gaskets coated with Nylog will never dry or become heat fixed to the surface. Threaded connections coated with Nylog will block high pressure leaks by forming a hydraulic seal. The compound always remains temperature and vibration resilient. Nylog can be used as a high tack assembly lube when installing shaft seals, O-rings, Schrader valves, ball valves, unloaders or other internal system components.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: AC system O-ring lube
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:16 pm »
Thanks for that.
It seems like, when I rebuilt my system, I read, somewhere, to use engine (mineral) oil to lube the O-rings. I used it sparingly, however. Just enough to moisten the seal, so it wouldn't tear when installed.
Doesn't mean that was the best thing. Just that that's what I read. YMMV.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:11 am »
Relevent to yesterday LOL,  in an attempt to find my high Idle,Top end apart 1st then intake twice, 3rd try here  I got new o rings for the injectors and was wondering about a lube . I started to use pag but sprayed silicone instead.thought about different oils but didn't want the oil to burn off from head heat.
also need some smaller injectors 22-25 lbs. i must guess but 30's are a bit much.
I do think I FOUND IT.  super cool throttle arm may be out of adj.  previously took off the TB and left it attatched, this time pulled the rod off and TB shut down another big 1/8 . Please Lordy

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 12:12:15 pm »
Nylog Video

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:09:42 pm by TopNotch »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers