Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Dorian and the weather  (Read 13885 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Dorian and the weather
« on: September 07, 2019, 09:02:24 am »
I'm sure it'll hit us eventually.

I have a client in Florida who hastily moved his boat.  His house stayed in place, but may be a bit worse for the water.  I told him his boat is better suited for water.  Unfortunately, he took his boat up the coast.  It would have seemed better to have headed South, basically circling around to where the hurrycane had been.

In North Carolina, some people will be getting new houses.  The construction companies must make a mint off hurricanes.  Maybe the insurance companies should partner with construction companies.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Dorian and the weather
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 01:25:36 pm »
I was watching some news coverage of the hurricane this morning and they showed Ocracoke Island, NC.  We spent our last 4 or 5 years of vacation time on Ocracoke.  The Ocracoke Village was under waist deep water.  The main road through town that passed right in front of the hotel where we always stayed. 

Our hotel faced the main street and backed up to Silver Lake.  It really wasn't a lake but a protected cove off the ocean where smaller boats and yachts could come in to anchor, shop, dine and sightsee.  This picture is of Melissa during one of our vacations.  The water you see in the background is Silver Lake.  The building to the left is our hotel.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 02:02:05 pm »
Well, Silver Lake probably rose that much.

It has been some years since I've been in that general area.  I don't recall being specifically there.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 07:50:16 pm »
At the lower end of the island at the Cedar Island-Swanquarter Ferry landing, the land is high to accommodate the ferries, but as you move into town which is situated right on the southern end, it levels down.  The hotel where we always stayed is just beyond the 2-story building.  The body of water is Silver Lake. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1148293,-75.9841809,3a,75y,166.11h,97.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7mudsGmbkBv5fipwa5iRWw!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers