Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Ported iron heads  (Read 16511 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Ported iron heads
« on: May 07, 2016, 08:46:05 am »
Anybody got pics of ported iron heads?  I've begun porting mine and would like to compare and make sure I'm heading in the right direction.
1) removed the spark plug hump
2) gasket matched the intake side
3) shark finned the intake fin
4) shaped the valve bowls and valve guide protrusions

Did i miss anything?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: Ported iron heads
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 11:48:58 am »
Gasket match and polish the exhaust ports.  Grind down any casting 'flash' on the water jackets. The flash ONLY!

Shark finned the intake fin?  That's a new one on me.

You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »
I'm a little confused on the exhaust ports. I was thinking the same thing about gasket matching them, but the camarobird guy's discussions conclude on leaving a little bit of rim because it supposedly promotes scavenging. I'm on the fence. Watcha think?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 11:09:56 pm »
I have heard the same thing as well, about the exhaust ports. Leaving a bit of a lip, where the header bolts on, will (allegedly) prevent the gases from back-flowing. (Allegedly.)
I've seen them leave a small lip, and even an additional "raised, flat floor", in the exhaust port. Kind of looks like a "D", sitting on its face.

Here's some pics of my port work. (Done by Goza, in Woodstock.) Unfortunately, none of the exhaust ports.

(Ignore the red circle.)

And the intake. Ported by Darrell Morse. (No longer doing this, as far as I know.)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:17:06 pm by Raydar »

Roger

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:22:47 am »
You are correct.  A little mismatch between the port exit and exhaust (header) is desireable to keep the exhaust pulses from rushing back into the port.  I only meant to clean out the casting flash.  Sorry for the confusion.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:20:56 am »
Those have got to be the best ever shark fin port jobs I've ever seen. Very uniform and look like they where cast that way. I've poured over thousands of photos to get ideas and those are the best I've seen. Wow. I'd post mine, but I'm embarrassed after seeing those......

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:23:34 am »
You are correct.  A little mismatch between the port exit and exhaust (header) is desireable to keep the exhaust pulses from rushing back into the port.  I only meant to clean out the casting flash.  Sorry for the confusion.

No harm :)  I'm just confused because the idea of leaving some lip is counter-intuitive to the discussion as a whole. 
Btw, how much lip?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 04:08:27 pm »
Speaking of leaving a "lip" on exhaust ports -- later model duke heads had D-shaped exhaust ports, and they made more HP than earlier ones with round ports. I have one of the later heads on my modified duke in my yellow car. In this picture, the original head (which turned out to be cracked and had to be replaced anyway) is at the top, and the replacement head is at the bottom.
The same round-port manifold fits both heads.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Roger

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 06:40:34 pm »
Just take the port to the point where you can pull your finger across it and not feel the casting edge.  I knnow what you mean about confusing though.  I port matched my 350 to the gasket and although I didn't put the engine on a dyno before and after the seat of my pants told me I hadn't done any wrong.  A touch more torque.  But all of the HP articles you read say to leave a lip.  My deed was done way back in the 1900's.  Hello Internet!  BTW, the smoother you can make the inside of the exhaust port the better.  Then there are articles about making them 'swirl' inside.  A whole 'nuther story I guess. :o

Roger

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 06:44:22 pm »
Odd that the D ports made more HP than the round ones.  Pontiac had the round port RAIV heads that made gobs of power.  I wonder if it's the shape of the chamber or that ever present 'hump' on the intake port?  Sounds like an investigation is in order.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 08:32:34 pm »
Speaking of leaving a "lip" on exhaust ports -- later model duke heads had D-shaped exhaust ports, and they made more HP than earlier ones with round ports. I have one of the later heads on my modified duke in my yellow car. In this picture, the original head (which turned out to be cracked and had to be replaced anyway) is at the top, and the replacement head is at the bottom.
The same round-port manifold fits both heads.

Maybe that's where I got the "flat floor" thing from. Perhaps that wouldn't be useful on the V6.
Regardless, I seem to remember the "lip" around the exhaust port being just a bit smaller than the steel O-ring in the  gasket.
Maybe 1/16". Certainly less than 1/8". I seem to remember seeing some pics, but I couldn't tell you where.

As for my "shark fins", and port work... Goza (or maybe it's Gosa) has been doing this stuff, for years. Chuck Willyard recommended him to me. It's something I wouldn't have even attempted.
I have his card downstairs.

Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:44 pm »
will you also be doing a valve job? if so a multi angle cut to the seats helps Considerably along with bronze seats to help dissipates the heat and the bronze is gentle on the valves. also the valve guides can be tightened up with bronze guides.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:16:46 pm by 2500fps »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:49 pm »
Sarge, does your Fiero have the multi-angle valve job?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 09:59:06 pm »
And the intake. Ported by Darrell Morse. (No longer doing this, as far as I know.)

Does porting the intake here do much?  I thought the porting was in the plenum.