Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Clutch Problems  (Read 16281 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Problems
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 05:20:47 pm »
As I was reading back through this thread, I wondered about that release arm.
Why GM ever thought it was a good idea to manufacture it out of stamped steel is still a mystery to me.

I'm happy that you got it sorted.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 05:41:47 pm »
I couldn't see the photo or even indication that there was a photo link until I signed in.  That's what happens with the third party hosting services like we have on our phones.  That's why we urge folks to use a windows based system to post pictures because it public and anyone can see them without registering and logging in. 

Next, you might want to replace the slave mounting bracket with Rodney's steel bracket.  The factory aluminum ones are prone to breaking with age.  I experienced that just before I was about to enter the Tail of The Dragon.  Glad it didn't wait until I needed to downshift going into a switchback, or when coming to a stop in I-85 traffic.  In an emergency, I have 2 good ones on hand that I can get to someone should they break down in this area. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 02:18:44 pm »
I have just finished working on a Formula that couldn't be put into First or Reverse without turning off the ignition first.  Then when the engine was restarted, the car would try to move with the clutch depressed.  It would even pull itself up a slight grade.  The clutch pedal wasn't bent and the banjo rod was installed properly.  The pedal rested above the brake pedal as it should.  The point that the pedal started to give resistance against the pressure plate was almost to the bottom of travel.

Upon inspection, I noticed what appeared to be an extremely short slave pushrod.  It only protruded from the slave for about 1 to 1.5 inches, so I got a pushrod from my parts cabinet. 

I removed the slave and as I separated it from the mount, the pushrod boot extended.  When I inspected it, I found that it actually did have the correct pushrod.  It was just fully depressed into the slave, so I reinstalled the slave and pushrod.

Next, I moved the car to an incline, placing the car at a 45* so that the left front wheel was positioned well above the level of the right rear wheel.  I then topped up the clutch slave with fluid and opened the slave bleeder valve.  Air bubbles galore.  Two reservoirs of brake fluid run through it and it's still got air bubbles.  Tapping on the side of the slave brings out even more air bubbles that were stuck inside the slave bore.

After a couple more reservoirs of fluid passed through, I closed the bleeder, topped off the fluid and had the owner depress the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it.  The pushrod extended way out and I opened the bleeder to find there were a few more bubbles.  Closed the bleeder, released the clutch pedal and repeated.  On the 3rd press, no more bubbles. 

Now the car goes into all gears with the engine running and the owner goes home with a smile on his face. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 04:19:45 pm »
Now the car goes into all gears with the engine running and the owner goes home with a smile on his face.

And hopefully, doesn't disappear.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 07:11:08 pm »
I see a pattern, here...fix their Fiero, and they leave; don't work on it, and they stick around.

Either way, everyone benefits from these tips.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 07:35:31 pm »
He won't disappear.  He will be at the work session a d meeting tomorrow.  He's a dues paying mem er.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 06:00:26 pm »
Just had to point someone to this thread for help.  Illustrations always help.