Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Found the smell source  (Read 14730 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Found the smell source
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 01:38:31 pm »
On AC equipped cars there is a set of hoses that run along the lower edge of the tank.  Every tank I've been involved with removing had to be maneuvered around to get past those hoses and their insulation. 

A jack stand or two could be placed underneath the tank to help support it.  You know how things are that are hanging and you just can't get them loose.  The moment you get your head under it, down it comes.

Better still, the jack stands should be under the frame or cradle.  Use the floor jack and a piece of wood to support the tank. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 01:49:46 pm »
I had a fuel leak so I dropped the tank and replaced the pump, all hoses and the large o ring this past weekend. Even replaced the insulation on the A/C lines . Cleaned  up the tank and straps and painted them. Was so proud of my work. Put the tank back under the car and connected the vent hose. Tightened up the rear strap with a few choice words for good measure.  Went to the front to tighten the front strap and noticed I had put it in backwards!! AGHH! I was not going to drop the tank again. I was able to take the front strap off and turn it around and install it correctly. I had to loosen the rear strap and “persuade” the tank to do what I needed it to but I got it done.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 06:30:36 pm »
The tank was in backwards?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 08:25:34 pm »
With the car on jack stands, I used two scissor jacks to lower and raise the tank. I have plenty of control on it that way.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.