Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Valley of Flowers  (Read 14105 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Valley of Flowers
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
Here are pics of some cars from a show:

Very nice, although ghe grill looks a bit long.

Nice, if a bit bubbly, for my taste.

Instantly made me think of the Bandit.

It's an oddity.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:20:37 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Valley of Flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 02:17:45 pm »

Nice.

Apparently a dragster.

Not sure what they were thinking.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:21:45 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 02:45:24 pm »

I did not make the connection at the time (no excuses), but believe this one is posted in the market.  How many could there be like this?

Met the owner, who says this was from a millionaire in Florida.

I have a few comments on this Fiero, but a preface for said comments.  Body people say to get a car with a good drive train, because you can always fix the body.  Mechanics say to get a car with a good body, because you can always fix the engine.

Some, possibly many, people would be happy with this Fiero.  It is a running, driving, recently-painted Fiero.  It has nice tires, wheels, and brakes.

I have some experience with swaps, so here are my comments on the work that has been done.

The paint job is cheap.  I know little about paint, but it should be the same thickness.  It isn't.  Masking was done, but apparently prep work was not.  There is some of what I call pitting.  Maybe the paint was not fully dry when clear-coated.  I think the flake paint is difficult to do.  That having been said, from 20 feet, the paint looks outstanding.

The tail light panel...doesn't match the rest of the car.  It is as if it has a different texture, or was painted at a different time, or with different paint.

Rusty-looking stuff shows behind the backup lights where the reflectors were.

The T-Tops look great, and the seals look good.

The interior looks great.  He wasn't showing the front compartment.

The quarter windows have a fair amount of crazing.

The engine bay...has a running 4.3 swap.  The battery has been relocated to the trunk by the current owner.  The intake is in the battery area, so I don't know where the battery was.  I am not a fan of a trunk-mounted battery.  He used probably 1-gauge cables.  They are almost an inch in diameter.  Holes were drilled.  I saw no grommets.  The cables are held away from the pulleys by electrical wire that twists around the decklid support.  The insulation in the engine bay is....messy?  The purge cannister was removed, but the base and clamp are still rusting away in place.  Similarly, the air filter canister was removed, but the base is still there.  There are hoses and pipes that go nowhere.  Some of these have been closed off with duct tape.  The tubes on both the firewall and the trunk are still there.  There are electrical connectors that just dangle.  There are bare, cut wires.  All the cruise control stuff has been cut out.  There seems to be a shortage of engine mounts.

The torsion springs were removed and replaced with a strut.

Other than the cruise, it could be said that the swap is done.  It runs.  It looks nice.

I think it's about the details.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:38:24 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:31:39 pm »
Sadly, the guy who inspired me to get a hobby car sold his hobby car, which was a Charger.  He always made these shows.  He is getting older, and has grandkids, now.  At 6 years older than I am, he's an old man!