Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Problems  (Read 13919 times)

Donster

• View Profile
Fuel Gauge Problems
« on: July 13, 2019, 09:34:07 am »
I have replaced the circuit membrane behind the pod. Everything works now, with the exception of the fuel gauge.I filled up the tank, disassembled the pod so I would have access to the needles (previously, the gauge needle was swinging all the way to the right, past FULL), removed and moved the needle to the actual FULL position. As soon as I drove the car, the needle slowly began to move all the way to the right again, now almost in a horizontal position, i.e. way past FULL again.Is this an indication of a broken fuel gauge?
Thnx,
\D
Life is good!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Gauge Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 04:59:25 pm »
When my car sat unused for a long time, the sender built up a very high resistance, which caused the gauge to peg whenever the key was on. (Higher ohms = more fuel. An open circuit = infinite ohms = maximum fuel indicated. :D )

Is that where the gauge always rests? Above full? Or does it work sometimes?

The three pins on the gauge are 12 volts, ground, and the sender. If you can figure out which pin comes from the sender, you ought to be able to unplug the gauge assembly, and measure from the socket contacts with an ohm meter. It will be between the sender lead and ground. (Or, preferably, between the sender lead and the gauge ground.) The sender will show ~zero ohms  to ground, at empty, and ~90 ohms to ground, at full. Approaching "infinite" ohms - or at least way more than 90 - if the sender or sender circuit is bad.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:12:44 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 09:54:13 pm »
I strongly recommend getting your gauges actually recalibrated.  I did the guess thing, but mine were off.  I had my speedometer rught at 60MPH, or at 0MPH, but couldn't get it right both places.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:59:20 am »
I thought the speedometer is controlled by the VSS, no adjustment needed?

BTW: new (used, known working) back-lit temp/fuel gauge on the way from Texas.
Life is good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 10:05:03 am »
Not on the V6, for sure.  Mine was off.  The VSS just sends a signal; the needle still needs to be correct.