Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Lubricating windows??  (Read 13977 times)

Donster

• View Profile
Lubricating windows??
« on: September 02, 2019, 05:11:30 am »
What is the best way to lubricate the windows? Ours have become extremely difficult to roll up and I assume they have never been greased in the 31 years the car has existed.
I'm willing to completely disassemble the doors to get them to operate easily again.
Life is good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Lubricating windows??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:05:35 am »
You will have to disassemble the doors.  The old lube needs to be removed, then new lube applied.

Do you have power windows?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:59:54 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 09:14:27 am »
A/DPW (Anne/Don Powered Windows).  ;D
I can't really see in the manual where it is best to lubricate.Hints or advice appreciated.
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 10:00:10 am »
You can lubricate the crank gear on the regulator with white lithium.  I have a bunch of plastic rollers that came off Fiero windows and regulators and there is no grease on them.  There should be a set of steel rollers that runs inside a channel on the regulator if it's anything like other GM regulators.  White lithium would probably be beneficial to those, too.  Several PFF people have recommended using dry silicone to lubricate the channel at each end of the window that the glass travels in.  I have a can of dry silicone spray that really isn't dry when it comes out but dies instantly.  I bought it to keep a pair of Totes rubber rainboots pliable so if you can't find a similar product at an auto parts store, a shoe store may have it. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:43 pm »
I greased the entire regulator with a dry silicone lubricant. .... PB Blaster was the brand here..... same stuff is recommended for woodworking equipment so sawdust doesnt stick........ I am sure WURTH has a way to obtain it in Deutschland