Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: FPR construction?  (Read 13887 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
FPR construction?
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:10 pm »
Why does it use a failure-prone rubber diaphragm?  It could use a pressure valve, as is used in gas pipes, coolant lines, etc.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:44:02 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: FPR construction?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:25:27 pm »
I am still using one that's 32 years old.  The material and design are time tested.  The golf pumping stations used pressure regulators that were very similar in design and functioned in the same way.  Most likely, you even have them in your house where your water line comes into your residence.  Because the supply line is very high pressure, to bring it into the household, unregulated, would blow everything that's connected to it.  Clayton Valve Company is the most common producer of these valves.  They are used to control the flow of many chemical and petroleum products in the manufacturing plants. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: FPR construction?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:39:14 pm »
I think you made my point.  Several times a year, the water diaphragms are replaced at one or more houses in my neighborhood.  I replaced mine with a metal valve several years ago, after the original failed

The gas line diaphragms of this design also fail regularly.  Mine has failed twice in 10 years.

The diaphragm in this Fiero has failed twice.