Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 2019 Christmas Charity  (Read 20464 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 2019 Christmas Charity
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 11:28:19 am »
I think Mike and I are doing it individually as we have time, then get reimbursement from the club.  I believe we've got the family unit covered.  Just need some toys for the kids. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 06:44:35 pm »
Do you need ideas?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 01:28:53 pm »
Is anyone beside Scott planning to participate in delivering the gifts?

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 02:32:03 am »
I'll be in Tallahassee doing the family Christmas thing. But I'm going to shop for some toys tomorrow after being sick for almost a week. I haven't been that sick in several years.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 08:58:19 am »
Will you be at the Christmas Party, Saturday?

Edited:

Guess you will.  Just read your other post.

I've notified Maria and asked that she have a couple of trays of finger foods/appetizers for us. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:59:53 am by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 12:23:28 am »
Delivery day!  I guess you can't really take pictures.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 04:44:42 am »
Been up for about a half hour.  Getting the boy's toys into their gift bags and tissue paper stuffed.  Making a few other preparations.  I made a dry run on one of the recipients today as Tegan and I were coming home from school. 

Pictures will be taken if the families allow and give permission to post them on the forum without name identities. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 07:05:54 am »
As I think of it, their faces could be blurred.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 09:44:43 am »
Out of curiosity, why up so early?  Does it take that long to get there?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 10:26:58 am »
My daughter had to be at work at 5 AM so she dropped Tegan with me.  Today Tegan is getting a lesson in entitlement.  Trying to make her understand that she's not entitled to everything she wants for Christmas.  Showing her that some people have nothing or very little.

One of the families lives only about a mile from me.  The other family is about 10 miles away.  Our first family is planned at around 1PM but I have to drive about 7 miles out to meet the guys, then 7 miles back to the first family. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 10:50:41 am »
We had a bunch of kids help wrap presents for others here.  Things hit a snag when the kids found out the presents weren't for them, so we lined up the kids to explain.  Finally, the kids helped deliver the presents.  Then they understood.  Actually, the kids who wrapped spent several hours with the recipient children.  They all had a good time.  Afterward, the kids realized that the orphans had literally nothing.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 05:41:17 pm »
This was a very rewarding experience, and the families were very appreciative. I took pictures without flash, so as not to startle them. Here is the first family:

The littlest one was too busy to join the group picture.

Here is the second family:

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 09:48:40 am »
This came to our club email from the woman who submitted the Grandmother and 2 Granddaughters.  Edited for names.

Linda XXXXXXXXXXX
Dec 23, 2019, 9:23 AM (1 day ago)

I have to say a big thank you to all of you, this really helped XXXXXX make a better Christmas for XXXXXX and XXXXXX. She was so pleased that they were able to go clothes shopping. She did not open her card until you left and just cried when she saw the Ingles card for $300.00. You are truly blessed. Thank you for helping them out this Holiday season it really was a blessing in disguise. She cannot thank you all enough. 

Thank you,

Linda XXXXXXXXX

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 05:48:10 pm »
Apropos of certain pictures, it has been my experience that lighting affects mood.  This could be my imagination, but it seemed to affect more than just me.  At work, the walls were changed from white to brown (think cheap 70's motel), which made the building appear much darker.  The lights were then replaced with brighter lights, which restored some of the original brightness, but made the dirt on the walls more evident.  Recently, the lights were changed from fluorescent to LED, which are brighter, yet, but have a slight bluish hue.  Because of the type of lighting, there are more shadows.  Each change of lighting has affected the mood of the people.  Since the lighting changes were each in effect for 6 months or more, this was more of a long-term thing.

My observation has been that health closely follows the mood.  Several people at work leave their rooms very dimly lit, and these people are out sick more than anyone else in the building.  People who live in dim lighting seem to find more depressing things on which to dwell.  Although there are exceptions, it seems that happy people are happy, but people who have slight depression issues will experience an exacerbation of these issues, when living in poor lighting.

Over the last 15 years, we completed a county-wide study on lighting.  Eprirical evidence from that study suggests that the most healthy, productive people use natural lighting, get the best sleep, and have a positive outlook.  In contrast, dim lighting had the opposite results.  The study found that these results spread across income brackets.  The study also found that people who used social media were less likely to have a positive outlook, and contributed less to society.

Humorously, the group that commissioned the report is rejecting key portions of the report, because the results also show that many "healthy" initiatives were actually unhealthy.  Case in point, a team of people pushing the initiatives had to cease practicing those initiatives, for health reasons.