Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: L4 ECU vs V6 ECU  (Read 14023 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
L4 ECU vs V6 ECU
« on: August 21, 2020, 07:42:20 pm »
What is it that makes the '87-'88 L4 ECU different from a DIS ECU that for the 3.4 V6?

Some ECUs can be used on either a V6 or a V8, with programming changes, so this question is hoprfully not as dumb as it sounds.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: L4 ECU vs V6 ECU
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 09:49:29 pm »
I've seen the program (or at least the changeable parameters) for the 88 4 cylinder ECM. (Arguably the most advanced 4 cylinder Fiero ECM, although I would expect the 87 to be nearly identical.)
Compared to even the earliest V6 Fiero ECMs, the number of things that can be programmed/changed is quite sparse. Probably only half - or less.
With that said, the 87-88 4 cylinder ECMs are a more advanced design, and run much faster. (Think Pentium vs 80286, I would guess.) At least the data stream that they send to the ALDL is faster. Certainly everything else is, too.
But I have to believe that the 87-88 Fiero are the infancy of that "faster" processor. The 7730 and others are (I believe) an evolution of that architecture, if not the same processor.

Go to Tunercat.com. Find the ECM Definition Files.
The V6 Fiero and early 4 cylinders use a 2532 or 2732. (32 kb of memory.) The 87-88 4 cylinder - and a small handful of other cars - use a 27128. (128 KB). The 7730 uses a 27256. And the Cadillac 4.9 uses a 27512. The Caddy ECM will do everything but make coffee, and launch ICBMs. (Want to play a game?)
But starting at 128 KB, is where the faster ALDL and processor speeds came into play, I believe.

This is not absolute, but an educated guess, at worst.
Hope that helps.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:03:42 pm »
With that stated, could the '88 L4 ECU run a V6 DIS engine, or is that option not there?

BTW, we launched a rocket, using an 8086 suitcase system.  I can't remember the name, at the moment.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 12:01:09 pm »
With that stated, could the '88 L4 ECU run a V6 DIS engine, or is that option not there?

I'm not going to say it can't be done. But I don't know of anyone who has done it.
If you go to Tunercat's "ECM Definition Files" page and do a "find" on the 1227748 (Fiero) ECM, you'll see that the only vehicles using that ECM are all 4 bangers. Either Dukes or 2.2s. And they are the only ones using the 27128 EPROM. Pretty sure you'd be in uncharted territory.

"Anyone ever start a path? Nobody ever starts a path. You always hear, 'Over here on the path, gang!' It's a little difficult, at first. You have to hold the grass down by yourself. So start a path."  - George Carlin

BTW, we launched a rocket, using an 8086 suitcase system.  I can't remember the name, at the moment.

I have heard that the computer that was used to land the LEM on the moon was the functional equivalent of a 486.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 12:10:01 pm »
My dad was involved in I think Project Gemini.  Lots of stories about that.  I used to have a wrist-top computer, back in the late 90's.  My dad claimed that my wrist-top was more powerful that whatever computer controlled the spacecraft on which he had worked.  The craft on which my dad worked had to turn itself around for re-entry, and it handled all the 3D calculations, much like drones today.  And the actual craft is in the Smithsonian.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 12:42:51 pm »
My dad was involved in I think Project Gemini.  Lots of stories about that.  I used to have a wrist-top computer, back in the late 90's.  My dad claimed that my wrist-top was more powerful that whatever computer controlled the spacecraft on which he had worked.  The craft on which my dad worked had to turn itself around for re-entry, and it handled all the 3D calculations, much like drones today.  And the actual craft is in the Smithsonian.

Now THAT'S cool!
The only person I've ever known personally who was ever involved with the space program was our "microwave radio" instructor, at Atlanta Tech.
But he was a complete Cretin to deal with. We all figured that he was pissed that NASA had cancelled his program (I get it. I probably would have been, too.) and that he had to resort to teaching in a community college, in order to pay the bills.
As we say around here, "He was just 'eat up' with personality."

Edit - Ed Williams, the engineer who "pioneered" the 4.9 swap into the Fiero, also worked for "the space program" in some capacity, in Huntsville.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:45:15 pm by Raydar »

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 12:59:38 pm »

Now THAT'S cool!
The only person I've ever known personally who was ever involved with the space program was our "microwave radio" instructor, at Atlanta Tech.
But he was a complete Cretin to deal with. We all figured that he was pissed that NASA had cancelled his program (I get it. I probably would have been, too.) and that he had to resort to teaching in a community college, in order to pay the bills.
As we say around here, "He was just 'eat up' with personality."

Edit - Ed Williams, the engineer who "pioneered" the 4.9 swap into the Fiero, also worked for "the space program" in some capacity, in Huntsville.

What a fine wiring job he did.......

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 01:00:16 pm »
My dad worked for IBM, and was contracted to McDonnell-Douglas, at the time.  My dad called the assignment "Mac Auto", for whatever reason.  My dad was there when the astronauts were told that they would be recycling their...drinking water.  They were not agreeable to such immediate recycling, so changes were made.  Those years were some of his favorite years.  The contract ended, and my dad moved on to his next assignment.

As part of my dad's job, he had to work with the astronauts on various controls--including landing.  As I type this, that doesn't make much sense.  Anyway, if the spacecraft flipped or lost its orientation in the simulation, my dad had to adjust the computer controls; if the astronauts ran out of fuel, or crashed, it was their fault.  Everyone had to keep working until the manager declared success.

I believe my dad was at Mac Auto before and after that project, but supposed to be on something else, and they appropriated him to help with that project.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 01:24:39 pm »

What a fine wiring job he did.......

Which supports my long-standing assertion that engineers may design something, but it takes a tech to make the damned thing work, in the real world.  This has been the story for my entire career, in electronics and telecom.
Engineers will tell you how something is supposed to work. A tech will tell you how it does work.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 06:04:16 pm »
We use a lot of Sonicwalls.  We were having problems with one, and, since we had support from them, called.  Eventually, we wound up with a lavel 3 support person and one of the designers on the phone.  They couldn't even understand the setup.  Obviously, they had no real-world experience.