Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Engine temps  (Read 13882 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Engine temps
« on: August 22, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
When your Fiero is stopped, but the engine is running, should the engine generate more or less heat?

How about holding your speed while going uphill, vs. coasting downhill?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Engine temps
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 08:29:39 pm »
If you're stopped, with the engine idling, for a significant amount of time, the temperature will probably rise until it trips the fan. Then it should fall some. If it keeps rising, you have a problem. If your AC is on, the temperature shouldn't rise too high, since the fan is running constantly.
If you're going up a long incline, the temperature will rise, but again, if it overheats, something is wrong.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:29:57 pm »
whichever condition that burns the most gas makes the most heat........ where would the gas pedal be in those situations?

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 08:31:56 pm »
If you're stopped, with the engine idling, for a significant amount of time, the temperature will probably rise until it trips the fan. Then it should fall some. If it keeps rising, you have a problem. If your AC is on, the temperature shouldn't rise too high, since the fan is running constantly.
If you're going up a long incline, the temperature will rise, but again, if it overheats, something is wrong.

Pat that has more to do with airflow than heat generation

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 08:40:09 pm »
whichever condition that burns the most gas makes the most heat........ where would the gas pedal be in those situations?

Figured.

After being stopped for a bit, the temp rises, according to the gauge.  The CTS stays in the proper temp range.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 09:22:38 pm »
Figured.

After being stopped for a bit, the temp rises, according to the gauge.  The CTS stays in the proper temp range.

That's how it's designed.
But here's the kicker... The fan switch, by design, doesn't turn the fan on until the coolant reaches 235F.
That freaks out a large number of people. (I understand that that's how it's designed, and I still don't like it.)
Rodney sells a couple of lower temp fan switches. I forget the on/off temps, but one is designed to work with the stock 195F thermostat, and the other is designed to work with lower (180?) thermostats. 
With that said, my 2019 Ram truck runs at 220-230, by design. I don't really like it, but if they're willing to warranty it, so be it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:24:55 pm »
My thermostat is 195, and the ECU controls the fan.