Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Sorry for my absence...  (Read 13759 times)

NoMad

• View Profile
Sorry for my absence...
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:28:58 pm »
I'm sorry I have been away for a bit. A week ago I had an electrical fire in the RV I live in. Been working non-stop on it since to rewire the whole thing.

I got very luck and the damage was pretty much limited to the 120v system and wiring. I figure I will be done with the complete rewire in the next few days.

Looks like the Christmas party and the Caffeine and octane went well.

Enjoy the holidays everyone, I will be back to daily checks once I can get all this and the resulting back up completed.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry for my absence...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 09:59:35 pm »
Glad you are OK.  RV fires are no joke.  Usually, the RV is a loss.  Glad you fared better.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 08:37:49 am »
I’m sorry to hear that. Glad no one was injured.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:45:04 am »
I'm glad that you weren't injured. Or worse.
Good luck with the rewire. Have you any idea where it initially started?

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 12:54:05 pm »
I lived in a camper van for a good while.  On the first Christmas day after only being in the van for a few weeks curiosity got the better of me and I pressed a homemade (not by me) button on the dash.....next thing there was an electrical whiff and then smoke....eeeks.

I refused to get a mobile phone at the time, luckily a friend lived about 1/2 a mile away so I drove there with ever increasing smoke appearing!!  There was some melted plastic off wiring but luckily I didn't burn the van or myself!!

After that I got a mobile phone and was much more careful/prepared.

Glad you and van are ok NM.  I would imagine yours would be somewhat grander than mine. :0)

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 06:15:21 pm »
Original problem was the factory wiring and a recalled switching system that was never replaced. The wiring is all residential solid core which isn't meant to ever move. So the vibration caused wire work hardens and built up resistance. The added resistance and a faulty switch box meant fire. Thankfully the switcher was over a sheet metal pan in the undercarriage when the switch slagged hot molten copper. If not the whole thing would have gone up. Now it is just changing every inch of romex to stranded marine wire and new outlets and switches.