Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Salvage, with lots of promise.  (Read 14941 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Salvage, with lots of promise.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 06:45:04 pm »
You could pick up a "running" '84 for $800, plus transportation.  Needs tires and a tune-up.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 09:22:50 pm »
So I have a definitive answer. In Georgia if you buy a car that’s an antique you only need a bill of sale. You do not have to do anything with the title unless you really want the headache. They said keep good records, get what title they have, copy of their license, bill of sale etc. that’s it. Now this may not be true any any other state but in GA that’s the rule.

How do they define "antique"?
The story that I heard from Don Hulse (Our former "club wrench", who also bought, sold, and parted a number of cars) was that '85 and newer cars required a title. Earlier cars were exempt. This was purely for logistical reasons. Seems the state of GA redesigned/replaced their computer system and retained records back to '85 model year. Prior to that were lost, or discarded.
Of course, it was quite a number of years ago when I heard this. Obviously things could have changed since then.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 09:30:54 pm »
25 years old or older. So 1996 or older.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 09:38:20 pm »
If that is the case, why did NopNotch need to get a title on his 3800 coupe?

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 10:39:28 pm »
Can’t answer that. I spoke to the tag supervisor directly today.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 10:59:00 pm »
I believe Pat's problem in part was that there was a Georgia title, signed by the Executor of the Estate, which was his daughter, who lived in Florida.  Something about one state wouldn't accept the other state's documents without police verification and other BS.  Pat can clarify that.  A title may not be needed, but you can still get one.  I got one on the 85 I bought from a junk yard in Niota, TN, with a bill of sale that said Sold For Parts Only.  Then there's my 86SE.  I got a title on it and it was over 25 years old at the time.  Not required, but I got one. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 09:16:35 am »
Yes, Georgia will title for 85 and newer.  On the silver 88 it was easy as I had a GA title from Pat. Streight to DMV with title and bill of sale.  Two weeks later I got new title in the mail.   If it is from a non title state and is 85 or newer you need a VIN inspection and a bill of sale.  It's not a big deal the police just run the number to make sure not reported stolen.  On the black 88 I had to do this.  In theory I will eventually get a GA title but nearly a year later it is still under review.  This is because somewhere out there is an open title from some state that that was never used to transfer the car once it was no longer required to do so in that or a different state.  There is a transfer and registration chain to show every owner so its mine but their is a hold up.  Pre 85 no issues like this, bill of sale only even if you have a title as they will not give you one to replace it but you will avoid the vin inspection. On the 56 and 47 we still have titles in our names from previous states but its registration at least for the 56 is in GA.  Here is the issue with the black 88.  I could sell the 56 on a bill of sale and still have the open title in my name my drawer.  This is why one needs to keep copies of the bill of sale.  My 40 is a hodgepodge of parts from dozens of cars.  I have yet to get it in my name as it's not vin inspectable in pieces.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 09:34:27 am »
I have the title for the 86 GT if anyone wants a good shell.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 09:38:49 am »
I have always obtained titles for my vehicles, but the oldest was a '78, IIRC.