Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: After Carlisle 2021 Vacation Trip  (Read 13838 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
After Carlisle 2021 Vacation Trip
« on: July 04, 2021, 09:17:16 pm »
After the Carlisle show, I took a little vacation, traveling on up through New York State, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine.  I couldn't take pictures and drive, but I did get a few while I was laying over at several places.

I stopped by the old hunting and fishing camp in Vienna, Maine to see what was left after it was sold.  The log pile is where the house sat and the drive went to the right of the building.

After visiting with sisters in law, nieces and their children, I headed north the next day to Sebec, Maine where a brother in law and his wife live at the very upper end of Sebec Lake.

This picture was taken from the screen pagoda at the left rear of the house above.  While we were sitting having some refreshments, she walked out and helped herself to some fallen green apples.

From Sebec, I traveled on to my final northern destination of Millinocket, Maine.  On top of Mt. Katahdin, behind those clouds lies the northern terminus of The Appalachian Trail, which begins in North Georgia. 

Thus began my return trip, a total of more than 2700 miles in my 87GT.  This was a once in a lifetime trip as I've vowed I will never take another until I get rid of these leather seats that do not breathe.  Going back to factory cloth.  I swear my butt has bed sores or saddle sores, or something that hurts like the dickens.  Most of my junkets were 5 to 7 hours, but the final 10 hour leg home found me stopping at every rest stop to get some circulation going in the posterior. 

But, I wouldn't have missed this past week for anything in the world. 

While Georgia has its Cicada hatching, Connecticut has its moth hatching.  One lighted on my niece's arm and by evening she had broken out in hives from head to toe. This was at a fuel stop.  The whole station, pumps and canopy were coated with them.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:49:20 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: After Carlisle 2021 Vacation Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 09:23:07 pm »
Glad you enjoyed your trip.  The '88 has a better ride.  I want to get leatherette seat covers.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:36:41 pm »
If you get leatherette, make sure it's perforated so it will breathe if you take a long trip.  Take my word for it.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 09:47:58 pm »
Yep.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:51:08 pm »
By the way, does anyone recognize those pieces protruding from the pipe on the side of the building?  I haven't seen one of those in decades.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 11:28:54 am »
Lovely pics and sounds like a lovely trip extension.

I don't know about the protruding pieces...but I really want to!!  I guess the pipe is relevent in some way not just a handy storage place? Maybe lives in the pipe and drives something?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 11:41:54 am »
Since no one took a stab at it, I'll give the answer.  The pipes are for storage.  The sticks protruding are probes for measuring the fuel in the underground tanks.  They are marked with lines.  Before inserting into the fill ports of the underground tanks, they are rubbed with a waxy crayon, then inserted until they touch the bottom of the tank.  Each size tank has a different probe.  The waxy crayon changes color when it comes into contact with gasoline or diesel.  That's how they know how much fuel is left in the tank so they can determine when to request a tanker for delivery.  It's also a way of checking that the tanker delivered the amount of fuel billed.   

Most stations today are gauged electronically.  When I ran a station back in the early '60s, I had a set of probes like these. 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 12:15:30 pm »

Cool trip. 

I'd have asked you to get some BROTHER ADAM'S HONEY BRAGGET if I knew you were going to Maine. 
http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/classics/

Probably a good thing I didn't know.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 02:35:06 pm »
That was my next guess FF (⊙_◎)

A quick and easy method with little to go wrong, like it.....then technology took over. I spent many months trying to figure out how to get my oil tank to talk to the widget indoors displaying the level.  The new tank had no provision for a sight glass like the old one!!

Also thanks for the leather seat info.  I have dreamt about Mr Mikes leather seats for years.... now I will dream about Mr mikes cloth seats.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 02:54:02 pm »
Paul, as long as I lived in New England, I never encountered any of those beers.  Must be above my socio-economic circle or not very popular. 

PK, I have enjoyed my Mr. Mike's seats for more than 15 years.  Closer to 20 years.  This is the first time I have ever taken an 8 day trip in them.  They should be good for every day or for a weekend excursion. 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 06:31:05 pm »
Paul, as long as I lived in New England, I never encountered any of those beers.  Must be above my socio-economic circle or not very popular. 

Had some while visiting Maine and having dinner at the Atlantic Brewing Company.  Managed to get a store in MD to order some when I lived up there.  Then the ~!@#$ kept it for himself.  Yes, it's that good.

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 08:50:59 pm »
Some Trip Trivia.

First tank fill up at RaceTrac in Braselton yielded 33 mpg.  Various fillups along the way ranged from 20, 23, 25, 28, 30 mpg.  The better mileage was realized in the northern states.  The 20 mpg was a fillup at an Ingles Super Store.  The same chain where I purchase my gas locally.  My mileage here ranges from 15 to about 20. 

My total trip was 2749 miles, not counting a little running around in Carlisle.  My total cost for gasoline for the trip was $241.25, with an average cost per mile of $0.0877.  Some of those miles were at 80+ mph, just keeping up with most of the traffic and still getting passed by others. 

AC was used in Northern Virginia and into Carlisle.  Again, from Auburn, Mass until I stopped for fuel in Kennebunk, Me.  Temps in Mass was 95-98* with heat indexes reaching 110* f.  Most of Maine from that point was very comfortable with the windows down. 

On the way back form Millinockett to Auburn, Mass, and points south, I never used the AC until getting below Charlotte, NC. then I ran it all the way back to Atlanta. 

I think $0.09 +/- per mile isn't bad for a 3.4, considering most locations north of the Carolinas was over $3 per gallon.  Highest prices I saw was $3.45 per gallon, and the lowest I saw was $2.47.  Don't remember where those were, though.  Didn't purchase at those places. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 09:07:03 pm »
Not bad.

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 11:59:26 pm »
I want to live there
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 08:16:51 am »
It's beautiful in the spring, summer, and fall months but in the winter, it's snow, snow, snow, snow, and more snow.  Vehicle bodies don't last very long due to the use of salt on the roadways.  I remember a decade or so ago, Dodge was guaranteeing no body rust-through for a certain number of years.  They wouldn't honor that in Maine.