Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 2021 26th Annual Run For The Hills ⛰🏔🚗🏎  (Read 21722 times)

crash_out

• View Profile
Re: 2021 26th Annual Run For The Hills ⛰🏔🚗🏎
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2021, 06:08:12 pm »
I made it. I'm in room 123 over on the Burger King side. Right in front of my gray Mustang. If you guys are doing anything for dinner tonight, holler at me.

crash_out

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2021, 07:34:40 pm »
What time were we meeting at Ingles in the morning? I thought I saw 6am somewhere, but can't figure out where...

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2021, 07:53:45 pm »
I usually don't set anything up for Friday night dinner because people arrive at all different hours and it would be extremely difficult to get a headcount and everyone together at a given time. 

Look up TopNotch.  He has the route sheets.  You should be fully fueled and at Ingles at 8AM.  The group pulls out at 9.  Or at least that's how I planned it.  I can't be there, so Headhunter1ID and Wreck It Ralph are leading the two groups. 

TopNotch is in the white 88 3800 Formula clone with the custom side scoops.  Long braided pony tail.  He also has Tshirts. 

He's in room 109.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2021, 08:39:07 pm »
I’d like feedback on the run. Be brutally honest please. I’ll start… the Red Roof was disgusting. I wouldn’t pay $49/night there.

The restaurant change was good. Yes a long wait but good food and decent service.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

crash_out

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2021, 09:28:10 pm »
Red Roof was fine for me, just kind of expensive and lacked water pressure.  Days Inn....yeah. I'll never stay at another Days Inn ever again. I've never stayed at one that was good.

I like that we had the white knuckle and easier cruising groups. I enjoyed being in the "fast" group, but find myself jealous of the views and fun the other group had, lol.

Restaurant change we good. I was never too fond of Applebees, but honestly I'm not too picky and would have enjoyed anywhere really.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Definitely different in flavor from last years, but that's not a bad thing. I really wish I was closer to be more involved with planning and other club events.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2021, 09:37:07 pm »
My real problem with the Days Inn, other than it being kind of a "hole" (surely there is something nicer/less cramped in Clayton), is that they refused to cancel a reservation with less than 24 hours notice, as well as "not being able to find the club block", when I called to reserve, initially.
Red Roof (at three times the cost) still has a same day cancellation policy.

But I'll bow to Ralph's experience. He obviously knows how it's supposed to work.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2021, 11:08:25 pm »
I stayed at the Hampton inn in Cornelia. Very nice but 35 minutes from clayton. I sent red roof a nasty email about their nasty room. If I wasn’t so tired I would have slept in the car.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2021, 11:18:53 pm »
I’d like feedback on the run. Be brutally honest please.
The 2nd half of the white knuckles route was not according to the route sheet. While electronic routing is nice, it should be checked against the established route and not taken on faith.
Although it would take some planning ahead to do this, ideally a route leader should have a navigator in the car with the established route in hand.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2021, 02:27:13 pm »
I’d like feedback on the run. Be brutally honest please.
The 2nd half of the white knuckles route was not according to the route sheet. While electronic routing is nice, it should be checked against the established route and not taken on faith.
Although it would take some planning ahead to do this, ideally a route leader should have a navigator in the car with the established route in hand.

There was a technology issue. The route was correct and checked by two other individuals. These things happen. There was written instructions as a backup but i understand its hard to drive via written instructions so Jason did a great job making the best of it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2021, 05:09:06 pm »
I always take overall expense into consideration for those who are traveling any distance.  The two hotels were chosen for overall cost and proximity to the venue.  Last time we stayed at that Red Roof, the rooms were very acceptable.  We stayed down the road at Quality Inn in Clayton once.  Their rates this year were $110 with group discounts.  The Comfort Inn just across from Red Roof was $159 and Sleep Inn behind Applebees was $145.

Applebees was used previously as was Red Roof when we did the Warwoman and The Rattler, which ended up being the same route used this year.  Applebees was chosen because many like to have adult beverages during the Saturday evening dinner.  It was close enough that people could stagger back to the hotel, if needed.  I have used the Stone Ridge Tavern on 2 previous visits, but we stayed about 1/2 mile up Brevard Road at The Hampton, Fairfield or Country Inns each time.  Stone Ridge is a great restaurant. 

I totally agree with Pat about not verifying routes, whatever form they take.  Varying from the planned route can cause us to not make our restaurant time or in some cases, hotel check in time.  Fuel and restroom stops may not be available on the newly chosen path.  Also, in the case of using QR codes or other mapping systems, those who do not use the chosen system may become totally lost if separated by a stoplight or stop sign.  Referring to the printed route sheet at that point is totally futile. 

That happened once when we stopped for a break and several decided to go off to a different location for some souvenirs.  A bunch followed suit, thinking it was the group leaving.  They got left behind, didn't look at their route sheets, and just came straight back to the hotel. 

As it was, I'm glad that the detour was one of the time-tested routes and that everyone made it to the destination on time. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

AJ_87Fiero

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2021, 12:28:33 pm »
I love the inputs and the insights! I recently volunteered (for a very diverse team) for my town's Fall festival and learned a few things about organizing things, handling communications and setting up chains of command.
.....And Plan B, Plan C etc., :)

Quick question, as an outsider: On the day of the event (starting on the trip, duration of the journey, checking in at the venue, regrouping for the evening, alternate plans etc.,), how do we use technology? Do we harness a collaborative chat platform or an instant messaging app or good old walkie talkies etc.,? ps: I have a 2-way bluetooth communicator/GPS enabled system, for shorter distances that I can bring on the next meet-up/trip. 
87 Fiero Coupe

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2021, 07:00:04 pm »
Quick question, as an outsider: On the day of the event (starting on the trip, duration of the journey, checking in at the venue, regrouping for the evening, alternate plans etc.,), how do we use technology? Do we harness a collaborative chat platform or an instant messaging app or good old walkie talkies etc.,? ps: I have a 2-way bluetooth communicator/GPS enabled system, for shorter distances that I can bring on the next meet-up/trip.
We use FRS walkie-talkies.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2021, 10:48:18 pm »
I love the inputs and the insights! I recently volunteered (for a very diverse team) for my town's Fall festival and learned a few things about organizing things, handling communications and setting up chains of command.
.....And Plan B, Plan C etc., :)

FRS radios because of the cell signal issues. I would love to use a group chat next time for the updates etc when cell service is available.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2021, 08:50:52 pm »
FRS radios because of the cell signal issues. I would love to use a group chat next time for the updates etc when cell service is available.
Yes, the twisty mountain roads we take are often far from any cell towers. There's usually cell service at our lunch stops, though.

AJ_87Fiero

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2021, 12:46:08 pm »
Yes, the twisty mountain roads we take are often far from any cell towers. There's usually cell service at our lunch stops, though.
We need our own eagles, falcons and hawks to fly high above us (like them high tech drone thingies) and show us the way and homing pigeons to message the others. They can also help exchange snacks and refill beer between cars as well so we don't have to stop :D
87 Fiero Coupe