Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Resignation As President of The Georgia Fiero Club  (Read 16353 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Resignation As President of The Georgia Fiero Club
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:50:03 pm »
Today, I tendered my resignation as President of The Georgia Fiero Club.  I think it's time for someone else to take the reins.  Through the years we have endeavored to do events that you would enjoy and participate in.  We have taken your suggestions and requests and made arrangements.  Even with that, so many of those that requested specific activities have not participated in that activity they wanted us to do. 

I feel that I have lost the ability to effectively put together the events that you have asked for.  To excite you and elicit your help and participation.  So many people have asked for a chance to get on a road course race track, yet the event set up for Road Atlanta last November drew no participants.  The July event had only officers and staff members who worked the event participating.  Not a single member of this club came out.  We hosted an event and the Host was absent.

I have made all the arrangements for Run For The Hills 15, and will continue to be the spearhead for this event for this year and I will remain with the club as a member to assist the Board and Officers in any way I can.  I thank the core group that has been so supportive to me and the club.  Without naming them, they know who they are.  They are the regulars who attend the meeting and club activities.  If you don't know who they are, well...what can I say.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Whodeanie

• View Profile
Re: Resignation As President of The Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:21:42 pm »
A sad day today  :'(
we all feel you have done a great job and as you we would love to have people show up at the events.

come on folks! lets all get together for the run for the hills and have a great time together. after all it is a weekend away from the day to day BS.
D.

aerodonamic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:36 am »
I was sad to hear that Charley was stepping down. But I understand his frustration it takes a lot of work to set up events and then nobody showes up time after time '''  If you want a club then for gosh sakes SHOW UP''' Participate make suggestions etc.Run for the hills is a blast so please come on out and support it Nuf Said

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:10:04 pm »
You can take the following with total disregard, since I'm not a club member (although I play one on TV).  ;D
I just can't see the club holding together without you, Charlie. There are a bunch of nice guys & gals there but as you said there has to be a certain percentage of participation for it to work.
I personally wanted the track day, but $450 for one day is just too much, especially when you consider the number of participants. Since it was not organized by the Ga. club, it should have been cheaper. I could see $450 if the club did it & there were just 10 cars participating. It can't cost THAT much to rent the track: if I was a member (& I STILL do plan to re-list when I get the money) I'd check into it myself & see just what the club would have to pay.
I guess it's just the economy. I have several folks wanting work done, but no one has the money. I'm just barely paying my bills & eating - in spite of the fact that I'm living in a hell-hole & have very little expenses. Although I DID finally get some insulation over the ceiling, so now it's only 85 degrees in here in the afternoon (but the outside temp has cooled down 5 degrees too...).
Maybe one day I'll make it to a meeting...
Later,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Headline: APATHY RUNS RAMPANT - Nobody cares.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »
The club will stay together.  I am not leaving the club.  I just stepped down as President.  It's time for someone else to put together events.  If no one does, then we'll just meet once a month for a beer and a sandwich.  I will work in any capacity that the officers want me to work and share all the files and contacts with anyone who wants to use them to make things happen. 

The November track day was a bit expensive.  The July 17 Poker Run/Road Atlanta day wasn't.  $55 dollars tops and that included a free lunch.  This coming November will likely cost around $150 but you get much more and you'll get hours on the track at any speed that you're capable of handling. 

When members came and suggested that we do something, and I or others went to the effort to arrange and set it up, I would expect that person to help in some manner and to participate on the day of the event.  It was a waste of my time and often the club's money.  That was the frustrating part. 

No one has to pay dues to come to meetings and participate in the things we do.  But, if you want to have a voting voice in the club, the charter says you must be a dues paying menber.  Otherwise as we've had in the past, we had people who showed up for the first and only time voting for club officers.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

carnut122

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:18:35 pm »
Charlie,
   I'm not sure that anybody can fill your shoes!  I hate that you've stepped down.  The lack of participation is no reflection on your part; it's just that those who make the most noise are often those who do the least to make things happen.  The sad truth is although we enjoy our cars and our club, we also have another life that often competes with our abilities and willingness to participate in club events.  Personally,  I hate that you've invested so much time and effort into trying to make things happen for others.  Thanks for being president and putting forth the effort necessary to hold this club together.  I hope somebody else will step forward, but I don't see that happening.
   Tom

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:11:27 am »
Thank you, Tom.  I think someone else can do the job, and I think someone will step up to do it, and I think they'll bring new ideas. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 12:11:32 am »
Charlie, we spoke about this for a bit at the meeting.
Everyone has different responsibilities and other things going on in his/her life.
I mentioned that money is short for many people. What I didn't mention (and that Tam reminded me of) is that free time is also short for many othes. Some folks are having to work 2 or more jobs just to keep the bills paid.
Perhaps some of the people who requested/committed to different events are not now in a position to be able to participate. Circumstances can change.

Regardless, I thank you for everything that you have done for the club, and for us, the members.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:38 pm »
charlie i think you are probably the best at ram roddin the club and makin sure things get done. for me i like to go to the meetings and "run for the hills" and the "fiero factory swap meet". 85gt and myself were talking and we'd kinda like to have maybe a one day run once a month or or the whole club going to a cruise-in or car show as a club. and maybe weekend run every couple of months or three(sat and sun) closer to home to kind of fill in between the "hills" and the "factory" and "road atlanta". personally i think we should just cater to our core group and not try to solicit the general public. i mean we still tell people by word of mouth who might be interested in going and people that read the forum that are interested can contact us. but mainly we just gear ir towards our core group and we'll know what to expect. also we could extend an invitation to other types of cars clubs. etc miatas, mgs,solstice and skys, mr2's,volkswagens,pt cruisers. maybe a different club once a month. but the main thing is to drive the cars as a group more often, cause thats whats fun even for just a day. well that my two cents. ps we could throw in $5.00 or $10.00 each time and put in the savings account and keeping it going in the right direction. if you're a little short catch the pot nexttime no big deal.     
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite