Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Strange new clutch problem.  (Read 16300 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Strange new clutch problem.
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:11:16 pm »
Today on the way to work, after a stop at a light, my clutch became very hard to push, and I couldn't change gears. I was in 2nd gear when it happened, and stayed in that gear until I could pull over and call a tow truck.
I inspected it, and the hydraulics are fine. The slave moves when you press the pedal, but I don't think my grandson was able to push it all the way while I watched the slave. I saw about 3/4" movement.
It feels like something is binding. There is no unusual noise when you press the clutch, so I think the bearing is OK.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Strange new clutch problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:34:02 pm »
My first 85GT was like that, but I don't know if it happened suddenly or gradual.  It was that way when I bought it.  It was due to a bad pressure plate.  It didn't make any noise, either. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:32:53 pm »
Had a problem like that once (not with a Fiero but a GM vehicle). The front bearing cap (nosepiece) on the transmission cracked. That offset the throwout bearing and clutch alignment. New cap, no problem. Had to separate the tranny and engine completely tho.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:48:12 pm »
Something in my clutch is toast. Today I bled it, wiggled the fork a bit while bleeding, and after bleeding tried working it a bit. Something clicked, and it was easier to press again. So I started the engine and tried pressing the clutch. Something squeaked. So something's not right inside.
Do you think I can change the clutch by tilting the cradle instead of dropping it entirely?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:07 pm »
I believe Ashby told me he's pulled some transmissions like that and I've seen some at the pullapart done that way.  You'd have to support the engine and pull the knuckle and strut as an assembly to keep from messing up alignment.  It would give you clearance to get it out.  I think I read on PFF that it's a real gut-strainer to get the transmission in and out, though.  Ask Raydar.  I think he's swapped one without dropping the cradle or email Ashby at adfieros@aol.com   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
After I killed my first (worn out) Getrag, I swapped in an Isuzu without dropping the engine.

I used an A frame that Ashby had built for me. I raised the rear of the car and supported it at the back of the floorboards with jackstands on blocks. (Yeah... I know.)

I used a chain hoist over the A-frame, as well as an engine leveling device, to support the engine. I supported the tranny with a come-a-long.
I dropped the suspension out, making sure to leave the knuckles and struts together as an assembly, so as not to disturb the alignment. Left the calipers suspended from the body, so I didn't have to bleed the system,

I unbolted the engine and tranny mounts from the cradle.
I loosened the front cradle bolts, and removed the rear cradle bolts, allowing the cradle to swing down. (Earlier cradles can be tilted to the side, since they use rubber bushings. Since the 88 cradle is solid mounted, I didn't even try.)

I disconnected the shift cables and the slave, unbolted the tranny, and lowered it with the come along. I had to tilt the engine down toward the driver's side to allow the tranny housing to slide out past the frame rail.

I hoisted the replacement tranny back up, using the come along.
Assembly, as they say, was the reverse of removal. Aligning the engine and tranny was way easier than I expected. I must have been holding my mouth right.

In retrospect, the only advantage to doing it this way was that I didn't have to separate the fuel lines and wiring harness, didn't have to drain and refill the coolant, and didn't have to take the parking brake cables completely apart (at least not that I remember.)

When I obtained another Getrag (the Isuzu was purely a stop gap measure) i ended up dropping the cradle all the way out to replace it.
Any time I have had to do any major work, since, I just drop the cradle.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:41:58 pm by Raydar »

redraif

• View Profile
    • Indy SE #770 "Stormtrooper Edition"
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:02:57 am »
Something in my clutch is toast. Today I bled it, wiggled the fork a bit while bleeding, and after bleeding tried working it a bit. Something clicked, and it was easier to press again. So I started the engine and tried pressing the clutch. Something squeaked. So something's not right inside.
Do you think I can change the clutch by tilting the cradle instead of dropping it entirely?
That how Joe and I did it when I first got the indy....

Cardomain page with more pics...and the process...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/814710/1984-pontiac-fiero/page-9/

Large jack stands under the front and at the rear before the cradle hinge point.  Then jack with wood under the cradle/engine.  Release the rear cradle mounts...dog bone... and wiring that will catch... we had to remove the filter housing I know... it was a tight fit clearing the rear firewall with the intake on the duke...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:08:21 am by redraif »
1984 Modified Indy Fiero SE #770 "StormTrooper Edition"

Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45, 18x8, 39 offset , 84 WS6 springs -1.5 coils
Rear: 265/35, 18x8.5, 45 offset,  Coil-overs:  10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve