Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 16163 times)

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
New to Forum
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:25:41 pm »
Hello,

I just joined the forum today and Charlie suggested I introduce myself. I was on Pennocks original forum as "squid" and joined the second as "fiero4.3L" but Cliff never authorized me to post or pm for some reason. I guess it has been about 6 years?

Anyway, on the miata.net forum, I'm mv8/mstrASE/A+P/FCC where I contributed a lot of posts about driveline swapping on miatas.
I currently frequent www.locostusa.com where I have a similar logon and contribute information on designing suspension, chassis, etc.

I know Don in Douglasville and Raydar who are both nearby. My interests are spread pretty thin.

I'm currently restoring a 78 triumph spitfire getting an s10 2.8 v6 and T5, building a three wheeled reverse trike diesel single seater that should get about 100 mpg when complete, I have a 4.3l miata, a festiva BP, and I think I have the first 4.3l fiero. I sold Charlie is Mr Mike seats from one of my other fieros.

I'm a Master ASE Mechanic, an FAA Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic, Mig and gas weld, machinist, electrician. I will not disclose what I do for a living on the forum as it would affect my ability to post (i.e. making policy) but enough about me.

Anyway, I really want an MY8 4 spd to replace my M19 so if anybody has one within a few hundred miles, I am very interested!

Sorry to read about Don's illness. I haven't spoken to him in years.

My car has been sitting since 2005 and I'm trying to get it road worthy again.
Engine: 1985 4.3l v6 with high rise stock intake and holley spread bore, hei ignition.
V8 archie block adapter and crank adapter for early sbc crank.
M19 4 spd. Have a 440t4 spread across my bench with the lumina chain and sprockets to build as a 3.73 final but never got around to it.
Pontiac 6000 heavy duty brake option struts with bigger brakes, hub bearings, axles, and bolt pattern with bonneville 16" mesh wheels. Currently no parking brake. Considering reverting back to standard rear setup.

Should I be looking at an easier to find getrag 5 speed? My carbed 4.3l is nothing special power wise. I understand my axles, shifter and cables will work or no?
Master ASE and FAA aircraft mechanic among other things.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:07 pm »
Whew! That's a lot to digest! I won't bother asking you what you do with your spare time. ;-)

There are a lot of folks out there that have much more knowledge about engine swaps and
trannys so I'll let them get to your questions.

Welcome to our forum and we hope you enjoy your stay!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:33:48 pm by Roger »
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:20:01 pm »
As far as the axles go, all Fiero manual axles will interchange between all Fiero manual transmissions.  If you ever need custom axles made, I can give you a builder over on this side of town.  Another option would be the 85-88 Isuzu 5-speed.  Much more plentiful and cheaper than the Getrag with essentially the same gearing in the top 3 gears.  A little weaker than the Getrag and 85-86 Muncie, but stronger than the 84 transmissions. 

Next, if you aren't too far into the S10 2.8 engine, you might consider the 93-95 Camaro/Firebird 3.4 V6.  It's the identical block but it comes with 160 HP.  Some easy upgrades that will add a few more horses is the 7730 ECM.  Faster data upload, you can run a knock sensor, cam and crank sensor and digital EGR for better engine control and fuel economy. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:03:11 pm »
Thanks Roger!

I received the 2.8 and T5 in exchange for helping a fellow convert his 85 s10 to an sbc and 700r4. I'm actually using a fiero radiator and waterneck in the spitfire. I may upgrade later on once it is up and running, but it only weighs about 1700 lbs so the power to weight is pretty good already. I also like carbs.

The spitfire I bought off a trailer at Road Atlanta. It had been butchered pretty bad to fit a mustang 5.0 and T5 but the motor was way to high and far forward. The v6 fits much better but I'm having to make everything.

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 08:48:23 am »
Welcome to the GFC forum!

This is a great group of people with an incredible amount of knowledge...

FGTB
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
Sounds like we just doubled our knowledge base. 

BTW, when it comes to going carbed, the 3.4 engine long block is identical to the 2.8 so everything will bolt on, and the 95 engine is roller cam. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
I remember you! Good to see you again.

Can't really help on the MY8. They tend to be pretty uncommon. Isuzus are okay, if you don't try to speed shift them, or shock load them by side-stepping the clutch. Stories of shredded 2nd gear are plentiful, with the occasional broken shift fork thrown in.
My favorite tranny (bang for the buck - wise) for the Fiero is the 92-93 Beretta / Corsica Getrag. It will require Rodney Dickman's FWD adapter kit, but it uses an internal hydraulic throwout bearing. Much less trouble than the Fiero setup.
Any tranny other than another 4 speed will require new cables and (unless I'm mistaken) a new shifter. Any 5 speed shifter will work with any 5 speed trans. Even though there was a heavier shifter (more bracing and gusseting) designed for the Getrag, I am led to believe that even GM may have mixed them up, from time to time.

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks for the info. No abusing for me so I could probably get away with the isuzu if I had one. My daily driver is a Ford Aspire with 270,000 on the original clutch.

I've got the 3.65 4 spd right now that needs the diff tightened up and two, 84 4.10 4 spds. Gearing is okay with the 3.65 and 225-60-16 bonneville wheels on back but it would be nice to have numerically lower gearing.

I'm expanding my search to include 5 spds.

The small, gm, fwds in the 90s all use getrag for the v6 and quad applications and isuzu for the other applications, right?

In general, I know the quad has a different case half to match the quad pattern, there are both geared vss and toothed wheel vss applications, and the shift cables come from a different direction on the fwds as well as different arm lengths, requiring a R.D. kit or other adaptation. Am I leaving anything out?

I prefer an external slave for an easy swap when they go bad but I'll do what I must.

Here are couple pics of my car.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
I'm expanding my search to include 5 spds.

The small, gm, fwds in the 90s all use getrag for the v6 and quad applications and isuzu for the other applications, right?

In general, I know the quad has a different case half to match the quad pattern, there are both geared vss and toothed wheel vss applications, and the shift cables come from a different direction on the fwds as well as different arm lengths, requiring a R.D. kit or other adaptation. Am I leaving anything out?

I prefer an external slave for an easy swap when they go bad but I'll do what I must.

Generally correct.

Typically, the V6s and Quad 4s used Getrags, although I think Don Hulse told me that he ran across a V6 Cavalier with an Isuzu. I didn't see it, though.
Keep in mind that the Quad 4 trannies usually had 3.94 FDR gearing, as well as the "non compliant" bellhousing.
I'm not sure when the VSS changed from gear driven to (magnetic) toothed wheel. My 93 Getrag has the toothed wheel VSS, but it works perfectly with the ECM that's in my car. (Caddy 2240.)
Rodney Dickman probably has the best assemblage of Getrag info, since he sells the shift cable adapters.
There is also a newer Getrag. The F23. It's allegedly a lot sturdier than the 282, but it requires custom brackets and shift mechanism. The one with the V6 tranny pattern only comes with 3.94 gears, IIRC. You can buy one with a 3.62(?) FDR,  but it has an Ecotec bell housing. Some people swap case halves to get the V6 pattern and the lower numeric FDR.

The FWD Getrags got stronger (notably the differential gears) and more refined over the years, but they also got the internal slave/TOB (which you said you don't want) and the magnetic VSS.

Since you're in search of fuel economy and/or lower revs, and don't plan to beat on it, I might recommend an Isuzu.

FWIW... Here's a link to my FWD Getrag install.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20130314-1-085296.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:31:55 pm by Raydar »