Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Need goodgarage in Dallas, GA, area to pull/rebuild 2.8 V6 GT motor.  (Read 15207 times)

garyfiero

• View Profile
Met Ron Robinson in Chili's, Hiram, GA, at lunch and was introduced to GA Fiero Club.  Have an '86 GT in garage needing engine rebuild.  Can anyone provide me with good garage and mechanic in this area to pull engine and complete this project.
All's assistance appreciated.  Have had this car since '87.  Want to get it back on road.  Thanks. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Need goodgarage in Dallas, GA, area to pull/rebuild 2.8 V6 GT motor.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:07 pm »
Welcome, Gary.  You are close to one of the best Fiero mechanics in the Atlanta area, namely Don Hulse, aka Aerodonamic.  Unfortunately, I believe he's discontinued doing major work, due to health reasons.  He still does lighter service work, though.

At one time, there were no less than 5 Fiero-friendly mechanics associated with the club, but they've all ended their operations.  The last, Lee Arnette in Loganville, Ga. just closed, according to his Father, who was another Fiero mechanic and partner of Don Hulse.

I have spoken to a young man who lives two houses from me.  He's actually done engine removal and installation in Fieros, and he does minor work on my and my Brother's cars.  His Father is next door to him, and does engine and transmission swaps for a major local company, so the young man has help if he should encounter something unfamiliar.  Problem is that he's out here in Auburn, Georgia. 

If you want to talk with my neighbor, I can get his contact info.  If you decide to use him, you might be able to contact Roger Newton, who's a member of the club to make arrangements for him to pick up your car with his tow dolly.  It would be much cheaper than a tow service, and Roger lives out in this area, also. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:21:31 pm »
Since you need your engine rebuilt, it would be about the same cost to upgrade to the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird engine.  Costs about the same to rebuild it and everything from your old Fiero engine bolts onto the 3.4 block.  Bonus is that you get an extra 20 +/- HP.  Did you contact Don? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:21:06 am »
Hi Gary, Glad you found the site. We would love to have you join us at the club meetings.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.