Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: CarQuest Brake Procedure -- Specific Fiero Instructions  (Read 14776 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CarQuest Brake Procedure -- Specific Fiero Instructions
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:33 pm »
The CarQuest Parking Brake Procedure I put on our website has been mentioned recently. Here are some specific instructions for doing it on a Fiero. Obvious steps, like removing the wheel, are skipped.
1. Use a (Rodney Dickman) spring compressor to compress the parking brake spring, and remove it.
2. Remove the parking brake cable from the caliper. It will get in the way. There are little tabs that hold it in place that you have to squeeze in with pliers.
3. Replace the spring. You need it to slam the lever back to the stop as mentioned in the procedure.
4. Perform the procedure as described. You may need to do it several times.
5. Put every thing back together.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CarQuest Brake Procedure -- Specific Fiero Instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:51:17 pm »
Update: If you can't get the parking brake cable off the caliper by squeezing the tabs with pliers, use a small hose clamp to squeeze them all. That's what I had to do when I did the other side of the car today. That side was so bad, however, that I didn't do the CarQuest procedure. I just removed the lever and put it on at the next position.
I fixed a leaking transmission coolant hose while I was under there. They can be a problem on auto trans Fieros -- If it comes off while you're driving, you have a real problem. I double-clamped it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.