Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 17066 times)

scottb

• View Profile
its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:59 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Finally, ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally had the chance to test drive my car. Its has a couple of issues, but all in all it went well.

The stuff that needs massaging include:
      The shifter, its needs a bit of lubrication. Its hard to go from 2nd to 3rd.

Headlights need aiming, I don't plan on doing any coon hunting wit the car.

Brakes are a little soft, I think they need to be bled.

It really needs an alignment, the front end is a little twitchy.

I'm starting a new job today so I plan on getting the alignment done Saturday morning, then see y'all Saturday afternoon.

More excited than a kid at Christmas,
Scott

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:47 am »
congrats!
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:35 am »
If you don't already have a preferred alignment shop, I used Roger's suggestion and was very satisfied with them.  He uses Hardman GMC Buick, 1591 Browns Bridge Road.  Call Service at 678-707-8281.  They're open til 2 Saturday.  No appointment needed.  Price is $70 with 6 month 6,000 mile warranty.

Print and take along this chart and have them set the car to these specs. 

http://gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1131.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:37:52 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »
Thanks for the specs, I'll take to my guy in Alpharetta.

My big concern is finding a place that is flat enough to aim my headlights. Its about like driving your yellow SE at night.

Thanks, Scott

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:44:54 pm »
it might be dead now.  no taillights. see other post.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:22:57 am »
it's not dead....it's just resting...
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:27:45 am »
After running through the mountains Saturday, I must say that I am impressed with the alignment. I was pushing my car probably a little harder than I should have and never heard the tires squeal. I highly recommend my alignment guy.

On the way back from NC I slung the water pump belt. Since this car has a Rodney idler on it, the proper belt is a dayco #5050470. Changed that out in the rain yesterday and haven't had to listen to it squealing. Such better.

Charlie was nice enough to bring a couple of EGR solenoids to see if that will get rid of my code 32. 1st one not so much, 2nd one installed and no SES light. Ordered a new ACDelco solenoid last night, should be here Wednesday or Thursday. It will be nice to get rid of that annoying light.

The only other annoying thing is the AJAR light. I think I have it narrowed down to the connector at the DS door latch. I don't want to pull the panel again, but it looks like I'll have to.

Still have a couple of wonky electrical issues. I'm hoping that they are all related to grounds. Need to have some decent weather to service the grounds since I don't have a garage.

Driving this car for the last couple of weeks has been a blast. I wish that it hadn't taken me so long to get it on the road.

Scott

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:51 am »
I just saw the Atlanta weather forecast and it looks like you'll have decent enough weather to do everything you need.  Tomorrow is overcast with 20% chance of rain.  Wednesday is Sunny and it improves from there with a high of about 70 on Friday. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:32:29 am »
But you don't know that I am remodelling a bathroom too. There is only bathroom in the house so I have to keep it functional. Getting that finished takes precedence at the moment.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:50 pm »
Wow do you have your priorities mixed up.  Rainy, dreary weather, inside work, repair bathroom.  Sunny weather, repair Fiero in the driveway. 

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:12:43 pm »

There is a curved flat 'finger' on the door ajar switch that has a tendency to snap off.
It is a real bugger to access. In a pinch, the connector for that switch is at the inside bottom rear of the door.
It should have a plastic retainer pushed through the door frame. You can disconnect it there and short out the forward connector with a short piece of 24AWG insulated buss wire then, wrap it with electrical tape.
That'll keep the light off until you feel like pulling the panel again.

If you take off the outer door panel it is easier to get to. Otherwise you'll have to remove the inner panel and the door latch.
More fun that a barrel of monkeys, but I replaced all of the rod catches, cleaned the entire latch assembly then re-greased it.
PITA but it was worth it in the long run.

I think I have another one for the drivers door if you need it.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:02 pm »

If you take off the outer door panel it is easier to get to. Otherwise you'll have to remove the inner panel and the door latch.
More fun that a barrel of monkeys, but I replaced all of the rod catches, cleaned the entire latch assembly then re-greased it.
PITA but it was worth it in the long run.

I think I have another one for the drivers door if you need it.

It sounds to me like Roger wants to fix it for me..... I will gladly take him up on that offer!

My theory is that the wire is not connected to the latch. I did have the door off to repair the hinge pins but i dont know if I hooked it back up. I have slept once twice since i did that. I need to take the inner panel off anyway to adjust the glass. I dont like it when it rains inside the car.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:53:52 am »
Looked at the drivers side door latch yesterday. Everything is connected but the light is still on. Will do some trouble shooting this evening while waiting for some sheetrock mud to dry.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »
It sounds to me like Roger wants to fix it for me.....

In your dreams.
Really, What would happen to mans' quest for knowledge if I solved all of the problems?

Remember this? There is a curved flat 'finger' on the door ajar switch that has a tendency to snap off.

You can't see it from where you are but I can and I ain't tellin'.

Once you get the panel off do this: The connector for that switch is at the inside bottom rear of the door.
It should have a plastic retainer pushed through the door frame. You can disconnect it there and short out the forward connector with a short piece of 24AWG insulated buss wire then, wrap it with electrical tape.
That should keep the light off until you feel like pulling the panel again.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 10:27:59 pm »
na na na na.... roger was WRONG!!!!!  :P

got that stinking AJAR light fixed this evening..... It was not the door flapper finger thingy...... It turned out to be the switch for the front compartment..... Something strange ha happened because that was working before........ I redneck repaired it with some black tape......

Now to get the drivers side window where it wont leak