Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Replacing side windows on SE  (Read 15808 times)

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Replacing side windows on SE
« on: August 21, 2015, 12:40:33 pm »
Need to replace the side windows on a 87 SE.  Afraid to start before I know what the pit falls I might encounter. Have looked on the website and have not found anything about replacing them.  I have the windows and the double back tape that came with them.  Dont want to destroy anything when I take the old ones out.  Any instruction would help.  Thanks

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Replacing side windows on SE
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:27 pm »
I believe you're describing changing out the sail panels. The se is a notchie, right? 
Slow and steady wins the race. Biggest thing is have a clean surface for the tape to adhere too. 
Are you in the CSRA?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:46 pm »
If you mean the sail panels, see this page. If you mean the actual windows, let me know.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 05:59:53 pm »
Wait! Wait!  You have the double side tape to install them?  The only time double side tape is needed to replace SE quarter windows is when you're just replacing the plastic lens.  No need to remove the whole sail panel as described in TopNotch's link to the FieroSails website.  You can insert a piece of cereal box down behind the edges of the frame to keep overspray off the body.

Use a putty knife and separate the old broken insert from the main body.  Your insert is probably cracked somewhere in the middle?  Put on a good pair of work gloves so you don't slice open your hands.  Insert the putty knife into one of the cracks and pry it up enough to start removing it.  If there are no cracks, insert it at some point around the back or lower edge of the insert.  Use the putty knife as needed.

Once you have it removed, clean the adhesives from the main body with a scraper.  Sometimes a BBQ grill brush and scraper works well.  When finished, use a little dish wash detergent in water to remove any traces of oils and road film and let it dry.  Wipe it down with alcohol if you choose. 

When applying the tape, you need a vertical strip along the front edge, some along the bottom, leaving a space between several small strips is preferred so that any water can drain from behind, a couple of short strips along the top edge.  If you got yours from FieroSails, you can get them with the tape already applied.  You want to be sure to leave gaps at all corners and place the tape close to each corner to prevent lifting, like such:  |\  Maybe even a small vertical strip in the center. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:02:01 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »
If you go to the Fiero Store  page 71 86-88 GT OE style Quarter window. Part number 50395. Those are the style I am going to replace.  Also not sure what or who CSRA is? The link one of you sent me I'm not sure which section to follow.  Just dont want to screw the job up.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:24:03 pm »
If you don't know what the CSRA is, then I think it's fair to say you're not here. It's the greater Augusta area. Welcome to the forum!  Of course, gratuitous pics are always appreciated.....almost as much as follow ups and solutions to tech tip problems. Hope to see you at an event!
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:15 pm »
If you go to the Fiero Store  page 71 86-88 GT OE style Quarter window. Part number 50395. Those are the style I am going to replace.  Also not sure what or who CSRA is? The link one of you sent me I'm not sure which section to follow.  Just dont want to screw the job up.

That changes things a whole bunch.  In your first post, you said 87SE, not GT.  Two totally different quarter windows, but a couple of things are still common in replacing them. 

Get yourself a good pair of leather gloves.  The windows on the car will probably break during removal.  Use a putty knife of about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide to remove the old windows.

Start by removing the engine vent.  Near the window you will find 2 hex head bolts.  Remove them.  There's also one at the back edge of the vent.  Remove that one, too. 

There is a square filler button in the very tail end of the quarter window trim piece, just above the trunk seal.  Do not try to pry it out.  Remove that little phillips head screw, then the square filler button will pull out. 

With it removed, grab your putty knife and go back up to where the grill covered the two bolts.  Slide the putty knife underneath and against the bottom of the quarter window trim and separate the wide double side tape that acts as an insulator.  It sticks to the bottom of the trim piece during factory installation.  Now, go to the top front of the quarter window trim piece, near the rear window and insert your fingers behind the front end of it and pull slightly down and out.  The trim will begin to come out from under the top of the flying butress.  There is probably some of that good old gooey black butyl rubber holding the trim to the body, especially near the front. 

When you've worked the trim piece almost out from the front, you'll probably have to turn up the edge of the trunk seal to get the back edge from under it. 

With the trim piece removed, at the front of the quarter window and taped to the back side, you'll probably see some mono-filament line.  Grab both ends and pull.  If you're lucky and they haven''t rotted, they will cut the tape around the perimeter of the window, allowing easier removal.  Likely due to age and weather, they have rotted and will break.

If they break, begin working from the inside where the engine vent grill was and insert the putty knife downward between the body and window.  Work your way along the window, overlapping what you've just separated, until you've addressed the entire top and bottom of the opening. You won't be able to reach the front. 

Now is when you need to don your heavy work gloves because the next step is where the window will break.  Grasp the back end of the window and pull it outward.  Beside the remaining tape along the top and bottom of the window, there's a vertical strip just rearward of the front wraparound edge, and I believe there's also a vertical strip about midway of the black field. 

Once you've removed all the pieces of the old window, you have to thoroughly remove all of the old tape and adhesive from the body before installing the new window. 

If you want to come down to the Stone Mountain get together, tomorrow, I'll show you and explain a little better.  Information is in the Club News section about the Stone Mountain Cruise. 

Oh, yeah, CSRA is Central Savannah River Area.  F85gtron and PGAckerman are our very active members from Augusta
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:15:59 pm by Fierofool »

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:55:58 am »
Thanks for the info. I will not be able to make it today.  Car is not road worthy at the moment.  Replacing the outer window drip wipers. Will try to get to one of the breakfast at the dinner when it gets on the road.  Will look at your instructions and see if I understand.  Thanks again

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:01 am »
Looked at your instructions and found out all the parts.  Thank you again. As soon as my tool gets here for getting out the outer window screws out and I get the wiper strips in I get to the windows.  Will let you know the outcome. By the way which side of town do you live Im in Kennesaw

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »
I'm on the East side toward Athens.  We had two new people show up at the gathering, today and one of them lives in Kennesaw, also.  The other is in Acworth. 

I have a couple of the Dickman Dew Wipe tools and have changed out 5 or 6 sets of wipes.  If you can drive the car, you culd bring it out to my house and I'd be glad to help you change them and maybe get started on removing the quarter windows.  BTW, I can't say a lot for the quality of The Fiero Store quarter windows.  Lots of folks have had the black background turn loose from the windows because their printer used the wrong ink.  I returned a pair to FieroJon who is a reseller of Fiero Store stuff, because the printing was full of trash.  They were just plain junk, and lower grade than seconds. 

I'll PM you my phone number if you want to talk.