Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Are there muffler exhaust tips?  (Read 14529 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Are there muffler exhaust tips?
« on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:02 am »
I have a mookeeh 2.5" straight through exhaust. It has one resonator at the factory cat location and that's it, then straight to the back, No muffler.
The reviews online say it's louder than stock (duh) but not droning and annoying. Without cutting into the pipe, I'd like to play with different tips to sculpt the exhaust note. I don't like racing fart-can mufflers personally....
Had anyone tried resonator tips instead of megaphone tips?  What's Some opinions?
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Are there muffler exhaust tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:45:20 am »
Pisa (I think) used to sell a non-muffler system. It had dual resonated tips, made by Hooker.
With that system, and a cat, it was obnoxiously loud. Droned like hell. I had a "bullet" glasspack added downstream of the cat and it was still pretty obnoxious, but tolerable. I could still drive through the parking garage at work, and leave a trail of wailing car alarms in my wake. :D

The Corvette "dual tips" that TLG were selling on Pennocks were resonated, too. I don't think they do much. Maybe just "take the edge off". I have one on my 4.9 car, with a cat and a glasspack upstream. With 2.5" pipe, it's still pretty loud. Probably not loud enough to get you pulled over, unless the cop wanted to be a pain, but it still has enough drone at highway speeds to be annoying. But then, I'm old...
Of course, that's with the 4.9. The characteristics of the V6 are much different. (The 4.9 was actually way too quiet with an Ocelot muffler, which sounds great on a V6, IMHO.)

Edit - At one time I had a single, straight through, chambered muffler on my V6 car. It sounded great, outside the car, but the drone was tremendous. It would plug your ears up.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:48:38 am by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Are there muffler exhaust tips?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:09:41 am »
That's apparently what was on my first Fiero. It had a cat in place of a resonator.  No muffler.  It eventually burned through the sides of the tips.  On  4-speed car there was a wavering drone and it was even worse when combined with harmonics of other cars on the road.  My neighbor told me he could hear me when I turned onto the main highway a mile away.  But it sure made it sound fast.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers