Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Thoughts on the RED HydrogenOne?  (Read 14341 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the RED HydrogenOne?
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:02:01 am »
I have read mixed reviews.  Since my phone is (past) due for replacement, I'm considering my options.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the RED HydrogenOne?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:23:08 am »
It is a cell phone designed by a camera company, owned by the same guy who came out with Oakley sunglasses.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:49:09 am »
I have a Red Hydrogen phone. I bought it used from Ebay for about half price of a new one. They are expensive.
As a phone, it is very good. It has more memory (both storage memory and working memory) than any other phone I have reviewed, and a very fast 8-core processor. For watching videos or looking at pictures, it has a 4k screen and stereo sound, enhanced to sound like surround sound.
As a camera, it's actually a little disappointing. The resolution isn't as good as my old phone (Droid turbo 2). The 3D affect is really cool, but you can only view 3D pictures on your Hydrogen phone. Word is, they're working on software to convert the 3D to the format other phones use with virtual reality head sets.
You can rent 3D movies from Hydrogen to watch on your phone, and you can buy 3D games from them. I haven't tried either.
Supposedly the camera module in the phone is replaceable, if they come up with a new one. I guess you'd have to send the phone to Hydrogen to have that done.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:26:36 pm »
I had read that the 3d is...not rwady for primetime, and that the phone has an old, slow processor.  The RAM looks great, however.  Supposedly the phone is a bit fragile, despite its looks.

My other worry is the size of the phone.  Does it fit comfortably in your pocket?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 01:09:21 pm »
Let's just say it's the fastest Android device I've owned, and I've owned several (phones, tablets). (I'm watching TV right now on the Fire HD10 that was my wife's. I hacked it a bit to run Google Play and therefore apps from the Play store.) I've always used a belt holster for my phones, and I have one for the Hydrogen.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:08:25 pm »
Well, speed is good.  I had 2 Nexus 10 tablets, purchased when they first came out.  Nothing since then has come close to those specs, overall.  Speed and resolution, mostly.

As part of my job, we have many tablets.  Before anyone mentions ithings, the ipads just set in a drawer, because they are a hindrance, rather than an aid.

In general, technology seems to be going backward.  Things are getting less powerful, slower, less reliable, and more difficult to use.  When I "upgrade", I usually am forced to choose what I want to give up.

For phones, I am not impressed.  Signal is less reliable, call quality has fallen, and the app is clearly an app.  Someone will surely contradict this, but I guess it's about expectations.  I expect to have the same quality I used to have, or better.  We recently had to go to VoIP.  I'd say the call quality, compared to our PRI is about 50%, and the reliability about 30% of what we had.  Since the phone system remained the same, and only the external stuff changed, I have to blame the VoIP itself.

Part of the problem is the change to a digital signal.  Sprint always advertised it as crystal clear.  This was back in the '90's.  I thought their signal was terrible, and stuck with analog.  Digital gives you all or nothing, where analog gives you something.  Unfortunately, there was so much noise on the digital, that they had to either clean up the signal, or drop more of the signal with error correction filters.  Unfortunately, they chose the latter option.  Now, the signal is broadcast as UDP, so correcting errors is difficult.  That is why pieces of voice come through out of order, resulting in scrambled voice.  Now, were it transmitted as a stateful connection, there would be error correction, lost packet re-transmisdion, and all the packets would be put back in order.  Again, this would require that they clean up their signal.  Instead, the carriers keep building new towers that digitally isolate individual signals on overlapping frequencies.  Part of this is that commercial and private frequencies are being reduced, because the government is reclaiming channels to reduce noise on their networks.  As wireless traffic increases, there aren't enough frequencies, so each caller is digitally "isolated", only not as much as you would like.  There is a lot of bleed-over.  So, you can hear parts of other people's conversations.  Anyone that wants to hear your conversation or clone your phone can easily do so.  The supposed "encryption" of your signal is laughable.  Remember, these are stateless connections.  Encryption is stateful.  So, the phone "encryption" is less secure than WEP.  Basically, listen for the key.  No pair.  That is how your phone is cloned.  When listening, a good packet capture will bypass the "encryption", merely by choosing cellular.

Long rant.  Someone with more knowledge of cell towers can probably explain this better.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 09:01:57 pm »
Ummmmm........... It all looked like gibberish to me

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 03:41:14 pm »
Forgot to mention one thing about the Hydrogen. The battery life is outstanding. I can watch a day baseball game at work on the phone (don't tell my boss) without even thinking about the battery.

SURVEY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 03:59:41 pm »
Forgot to mention one thing about the Hydrogen. The battery life is outstanding. I can watch a day baseball game at work on the phone (don't tell my boss) without even thinking about the battery.

AHA!  Finally caught you.  We'll talk tomorrow.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 07:08:34 pm »
Well, I don't know who you are, but I do know that my boss is out of the country, has no internet where he is, and no cell service.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 08:43:04 pm »
  :D  Thought I'd rattle your cage a bit.  I was just coming back on to tell you that it was me so you could get a good night's sleep and not go in tomorrow morning and confess.   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 10:21:19 pm »
I'm slow.  I did not connect those two posts, until now.

Some days, I have spent the entire day watching movies.  Usually right before or right after a holiday.  At a previous job, they had a bunch of books we could read.  Sometimes, there is nothing to do, and I can't go home.  One Sunday, I did a server migration...while watching a race.  I used my own cellular data and tablet.  The job was done on time.  What could they say?  No one else was there.  Most of my work is waiting on the computer, anyway.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:22:10 pm »
Does your battery die quickly, when you have spotty coverage?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:43 am »
Does your battery die quickly, when you have spotty coverage?
No, it still lasts a long time. The RFTH trial run was a good test for that.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 02:23:03 pm »
Having trouble finding a phone I like.  They all have glass cases, lots of bloatware, cheap construction, and don't work well as phones.