Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Camera kerfunk  (Read 13988 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Camera kerfunk
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:32:36 pm »
Well, I was trying to get pictures of the switchback lighting in both white and amber.  White was easy, but I was trying to catch the amber blinker.  This isn't as easy as you'd expect, because the camera's auto-focus and stuff won't cooperate.  When the light changes colors, the auto-focus has to do its thing.  I took maybe 20 pictures.  I did get what I wanted, but this was an interesting picture I found in the process:

I'm sure I'm getting some details messed up, but someone like TopNotch could probably explain what happened.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Camera kerfunk
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:21 am »
You could actually get something like that with either a digital camera or a single lens reflex film camera. On the SLR film camera, the focal plane shutter will open all the way and then close for slow shutter speeds, but for fast shutter speeds, it will open a slit which will move from left to right (or vice versa) across the film. Anything that changes during that movement will be caught.
In the case of a digital camera, the CCD will not just come on instantly, but will be electronically scanned from top to bottom (or vice versa), and anything that changes during that will be caught.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:43:16 am »
You can use a digital video camera and then pull a frame from the video.  I've done this a couple of times to catch an exact moment of motion. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:35 pm »
I know enoigh about cameras and photography to state with complete authority that I took this picture with my cell phone camera.  I pointed and clicked.

Edit: Oh, and I'm sure that no special lens was used.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:26:39 pm by GTRS Fiero »