Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: To Moog, or not two Moog?  (Read 14189 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
To Moog, or not two Moog?
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:07:16 pm »
That is the question.  Anyone have an opinion or some experience with Moog ball joints on a Fiero?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: To Moog, or not two Moog?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »
The way-back experience was very good, while they were still made in the USA.  They set a standard.  The only recent Moog experience I have is with the Fiero rear hubs and a front hub for my Ford truck. 

The first hub I received for the truck was actually for a Dodge Caravan and was Made In Korea.  The second and correct hub I received was Made In China.  This is according to the imprint on the Moog box they were sealed in. 

The Fiero hubs I have in the garage came from Rock Auto.  They stated that they were Made In The USA by Moog for a private label.  They are plain white boxes with perf-punched lettering that reads Made In The USA. 

I purchased another from Rock Auto and installed it on Ray's 86 GT but never looked to see where it was made.  We also installed 2 Moog hubs from Rock Auto onto his Blazer and they are still performing well. 

Personally, I would prefer those same parts made in Korea over the Chinese parts.  Korea has come a long way in the automotive field.  In order of preference, USA, Canada, Taiwan, Korea, Mexico, China. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:23:08 pm »
I don't know where these Moog ball joints were made.  Hopefully in the USA.  I just know that my Blazer went through AutoZone ball joints in a weekend.  I had gotten the ball joints replaced, drove to Virginia through the mountains, and drove back through the mountains, and the ball joints were done.  I replaced those with Moog's, and put another 130K miles on the Blazer with them, then sold that Blazer.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:10:35 pm »
For a Fiero (if you haven't got them yet), get Rodney Dickman's ball joints.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:17:51 pm »
Well, the Moogs are here.  No issue with Rodney's.  What is the difference between the two?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 07:58:30 am »
Rodney carefully chooses his sources, and he listens to his customers. If any part doesn't live up to his reputation, he changes the source.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:59:14 am »
I wouldnt use Moog anything anymore, I had a tie rod coupler rust out and come apart loosing steering. Thankfully Mr. Sewell was available to rescue me.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:42:29 pm »
That's really a shame.  They used to be the standard.