Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Judged car shows  (Read 13863 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Judged car shows
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:20:17 pm »
I want to clear up a misconception I inadvertently triggered.

Judged car shows are meant to give everyone an equal footing.  Judges attend one or more judging classes.  At these classes, the judges are given instructions on how they should judge, and the types of things for which to look.  Should the opportunity arise to attend such a class, I highly recommend that you take that opportunity, and be a judge.

As part of that equal footing, no one should be penalized for not knowing all the little things for which the judges are looking.  The criteria on the judging sheets are meant to ensure thoroughness and consistency.  Each judged show is different, in that the criteriaare a bit different, and the judging teams are different.

The cars in a given class are all judged by the same team, to ensure consistency.  The same team, given the same cars, may judge a given car differently, depending on the scoring sheet provided.  There is no way to know how a given judge applied the guidelines and scoring criteria.

Everyone gets their judged sheets, along with their score.  On the scoring sheet, you can see the categories.  There is no secrecy on those.

If you get a low score on your tail lights, for example, what could you really need to know?

From experience, I can say that I forgot about each car after it was judged.  No one on the team could say how well or poorly a given car did, because we didn't know the scores.  Even the instructors of the class didn't know.  When the scores were announced, the judges were as surprised as everyone else.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Judged car shows
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »
That's one thing that always annoyed me about the few judged shows that I've entered. The judging sheets are never available.
It would be nice to see what I got "dinged" on, and what they liked.
(I have a very good idea what my car's shortcomings were, to my mind's eye. Would be nice to see if the judges felt the same.)

'Tis why I seldom pay to enter judged shows any more. I just don't care that much. I'd rather just be there and enjoy the music and festivities, instead of detailing my car with effing Q-tips.

I agree about the "dinged" and liked part.  I enter my car because I choose to participate, and because I like to get an objective opinion of the various aspects of my car.  Awards are not really important.  If you keep your sheets, you can sortof get a picture of how your work has made your car better or worse.

I try to get all the bugs and things off mine, but haven't used any Q-tips on my Fiero.

My Fiero's judged score improved by 8 points, from its previous judged score.  I doubt I'll ever again see such an increase, but I could probably pick up 4 to 6 more points.