Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero parts stores  (Read 14438 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Fiero parts stores
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:11:04 am »
Which parts store in your area reliably has Fiero parts?  Some parts are frequently carried by many parts stores, but other parts are almost impossible to find locally.

I have personally driven more than 300 miles (round trip) to get a part, because the parts place would not ship.

PK

• View Profile
Re: Fiero parts stores
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:46 am »
I'll go first.  None of the parts stores either stock or can source Fiero parts.  Nothing.. Anywhere.

I did find out that Fiero headlights are the same as Toyota Hilux truck lights ... Which is handy as we need left hand dip.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:45:07 pm »
Headlights are headlights.  Many cars used them, although I don't recall the hilux having sealed-beam headlights.  It seems we were constantly replacing the bulbs on the hilux headlights.  The hilux seems to be common in British places and Asian places.  I've never seen one here.

I wonder if the lack of parts availability is because the Fiero is an American car, an old car, or a rare car.  Or it could be the parts store's willingness and/or ability to cross-reference.

I can go to Advance, AutoZone, NAPA, or O'Reilly's and get some gaskets, the PCV, the ICM, some sensors, various brake parts, the bulbs, belts, the air filter, the fuel filter, and occasionally a starter, alternator or AC compressor.  Of course, plugs and plug wires are no problem.  I suspect that the distributor cap and rotor, as well as the pickup coil would be available.  Internal engine parts....usually not.  Shocks and springs, maybe, depending on the year.

I have noticed that parts availibility in the US is different in different areas.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:47:05 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 01:15:56 pm »
We used to have HiLux trucks here. About the same time we had Chevy LUVs and Ford Couriers. They morphed into Tacomas as the years went on.

Parts...
Mostly I buy from Fiero Store, Rodney, or Rockauto. If it's a generic part or gasket, the parts stores usually have them, or can order them in, by the next day. (Same situation with some late model parts. They just can't stock the low volume items. I had to search several stores to find a caliper in stock, for a 2009 Chevy HHR.)
You have to know what you're looking for, though. They get confused regarding Felpro gaskets for Fiero water pumps. (Or maybe it's Felpro who is confused.) Anyway... unless it's something generic, like a seal or thermostat, you can almost always count on not being able to get it "today". I'm used to it.

The dumbest situation that I remember (This was Advance Auto.) was trying to buy six NGK UR4 plugs, for my 3.4. They only had four. That was their stock level. They only replaced them as they were sold. They absolutely could not order in six of them for me, so that I could pick them all up at the same time. I had to buy four, and then come back for the other two. I said "no thanks" (or words to that effect :D ) and bought them elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:17:48 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 01:28:23 pm »
Absolutely, the Fiero vendors are the way to go, but no local, today parts from them, unless you are local to them.

I think you're right, that the key is to know what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:48:28 pm by GTRS Fiero »

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 01:47:12 pm »
No parts here as not made for UK market.  On the online forms and insurance Pontiac isn't even an option let alone Fiero.

Some parts are interchangeable but not many at all.

My same week options are zero.  That Todd guy is such a massive help to me as he will gather bits from his local parts stores and send.  Other than that Sir Rodney..... the trouble is every time I look he has things... Lots of things that I then want to treat my Fiero to.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 01:50:05 pm »
Do you call him Sir Rodney to his face, or on the phone?  If so, I'd love to witness his reaction.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »
I think he knows I call him Sir Rodney.  I only spoke to Rodney once.....I called him up and he took a while to answer I placed an order and then about 10 mins later was horrified as I figured out it was something like 05:30 in the morning due to time difference! He took the order and didn't even flinch.

I think if I came to the US again, I would take a spare suitcase for Fiero parts.

I also love having a dig around scrap yards for parts for other vehicles but again no good for Fiero bits.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 05:40:34 pm »
The Hilux name is still used in the European and Asian markets.  It's their version of the Tacoma.  Proff has one down in Aussie.  Many of them are diesel, which isn't marketed in the US.

PK, you might try some of the discounters like PartsGeek.Com or PartsTrain.Com or RockAuto.Com.  I don't know if they ship overseas, but it's worth checking out.  Also, check out sources in Germany.  There seems to be a few Fieros out there, so there may be some parts available. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:50:43 am »
Rock auto do post stuff to UK but at a massively inflated price.  I have used before but a few times the orders were partly wrong...sorted but at a cost.  The final straw was a used ball joint with stripped thread in a new box!

I will look up the other two thanks.