Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 3.4 swap  (Read 14909 times)

Spartanzz

• View Profile
3.4 swap
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:05:11 am »
Ok...so after talking it over with Dean after the meeting and getting more info, i have decided that doing a 3800 swap would be very costly and take up too much time. So, as many members have talked to me about i am going to go with a 3.4 swap. Mainly for cost and that i can have the car back MUCH sooner lol. So question to anyone who can supply info, Who knows of a good 3.4 i can buy? Would anyone be willing to do/get together with me and do the swap? If so how much would it be to put the engine in?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 3.4 swap
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:13:36 am »
If you've been putting money away for the more expensive 3800 swap, you may already have enough to purchase a remanufactured 3.4.  Including shipping, you can probably get it to Atlanta for under $2000.  I and Raydar have bought remans from Grooms Remanufacturers in Nashville.  The engines were the choice of The Fiero Factory because of their dependability and warranty.

I couldn't find a remanufacturer that would give a warranty on a 3.4 when installed in a Fiero.  Grooms will.  Including the engine, gaskets, injectors and installation, you should still come out below 3 grand. 

Lee is looking for work.  Have you talked with him? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:33:03 am »
not yet i was going to call him soon to see what the game plan is. I was going to call and see because he was telling me we could keep the swap under 2 or $3000 for the 3800. And if that's true im going to talk to him and see. Plus its also going to depend on what engine i can get sooner and in the quickest. For the 3800 we could get everything ready on a second cradle and pretty much like dean said take maby two days and just swap out cradles. But if i go the 3.4 rout id want to keep it looking stock so we would have to swap out all the arts form the 2.8 to the 3.4. So its till kinda in the air at the moment because i had to use the little money i saved on other expenses so at the moment i have nothing untill i get paid from both jobs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:44:53 am by Spartanzz »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 08:34:08 pm »
What PCV valve do you use on the 3.4 in a Fiero, and what is your oil pressure?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 09:23:37 pm »
I used the valve that's listed for the Fiero 2.8.  My oil pressure at hot idle is just under 40 psi and that's after new crank and bearings and cam bearings.  45K miles.  Pistons, rings and heads were untouched on a supposed 80.000 mile engine. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 09:34:33 pm »
80K or 80.000?

I'm still chasing issues on oil pressure on mine.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 10:12:39 pm »
K being thousand.  80,000