Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I spotted a Fiero!!  (Read 14030 times)

PK

• View Profile
I spotted a Fiero!!
« on: October 07, 2018, 06:41:08 am »
A very very rare occurrence over here.

I was looking at local property sales and spotted a familiar car in the picture!!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55854261.html

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: I spotted a Fiero!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:10:18 am »
Looks good, too!

What is that on the roof of the house?  Windows?  Some sort of solar collector?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:16:59 am »
Over here we usually call those 'Dormers'.  The description of the home says it's extended, meaning that they have modified the attic to utilize it as living space.  They're just windows.  Looks like it has a tile roof as opposed to a regular asphalt shingle roof. 

PK, if you buy the house, be sure the Fiero is included in the selling price. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:25:49 am »
Yeah, but the windows don't appear to have anything behind them.  Usually, a dormer has the roof extended, such that the roof comes to the top of the window(s).  Those windows stick up like a facade, or false front.  I guess different people do it differently.  For the roofing around it, usually the flashing is raised a bit to channel the water away, rather than being sunken.  It seems destined to leak.

Anyway, it's nice to see Fieros being taken care of and appreciated.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:45:38 am »
I scanned through the slide show.  There's an image from the end of the house where the Fiero is parked that shows the elevated roof.  Looks like the upstairs windows slide side to side.  One of the interior pictures of a bedroom shows what's probably the sloped ceiling of the roof. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 11:19:34 am »
Not thinking of buying the house as still trying to renovate the one I have.  ;D

Luckily it was the display picture or I would never have noticed!

The house would originally have been single story and they have converted the loft space.  That former type thing is just giving them more headroom/width.

Spaces is at much more of a premium here bring an overcrowded Island.  Am always jealous of US gardens and garages. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »
Apples to oranges.  Not everyone here has a garage--or even a car.

I watched a different overcrowded island go from a few cars to an abundance of cars.  As a consequence, most of the people with cars now have debt.  The fuel supply is inadequate, so many cars run out of fuel, and left where they stop.  There is not enough parking at public places, so vehicles are just parked wherever, often blocking other vehicles.  Their laws and customs have not kept pace with the technological advances.  There aren't enough qualified mechanics.  Parts are not available.  The roads are always in disrepair.  They can buy upgrades, but if a car breaks down, the car will likely never be fixed, meaning the owner often buys another car, and incurs more debt.  Rather than parking meters, they have meter maids, who go around issuing parking tickets.  If no parking space is available, they just stop where they are, in the middle of the road.  Owners have no idea about maintenance, often failing to change or top off fluids, or replacing belts with a piece of rope with a knot.  I saw one person fill up their brake master cylinder with engine oil.  The roads are paved, but have no infrastructure.  The pavement is just put down on the ground, over rock lumps and tree roots.  In some cases, the space between trees was not wide enough, and pavement goes up the side of the tree trunk, often as much as 7 inches.  No low spots in the road surface were leveled out, so finding places that are 6 inches lower is common.  Did I mention that their vehicles are running bias-ply tires made decades ago?  The vehicles are flimsy, without many of the safety features we expect.  Leaning against the body of these vehicles will dent the body.  In the last 20 years, things went from the occasional car at the gas station, to hour-long lines at the gas stations.  Most vehicles run on diesel, because they couldn't get the gasoline clean enough to run the engine; the injectors and fuel filters are always clogged.  When I go there, I bring some tools and parts, and just get a vehicle running, so I have something to drive.  The last time I was there, I got 7 vehicles running in 1 day, just by performing basic maintenance.

Right now, they have many honda citys, proton tiaras, toyota sequoias, land cruisers, mr2s, toyota prados, etc, just laying around.  I usually fix the sequoias and the prados, because there is more space in the engine compartments.  Also, I can fund the repairs on one by fixing others.  The most common repairs are bald/flat tires, out of gas, bad brakes, broken belts, and broken suspension parts.  Most of the vehicles have fewer than 5,000 kilometers on them.  I have pulled several vehicles out of creeks.  That was all that was wrong, is the vehicle rolled into the creek (not put in park, or parking brake not set), and no one bothered to pull the vehicle back out.  If the water didn't get into the interior, I just pull the vehicle out, and see if it still runs.

Be thankful for what you do have.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:57:05 am by GTRS Fiero »