Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Shocks and struts  (Read 14101 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Shocks and struts
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:38:46 am »
During a recent conversation, I came to realize that I know nothing about shocks and struts.  I know how they work, and the brand.  I know what shocks and struts are installed in my vehicles.

My Fiero has KONI shocks on the front, and KYB struts on the rear.  I had no idea where these shocks were made.  Are these the best?  I don't know.  I don't know better or worse, other than that I have no complaints with what I have.  My Fiero handles OK.

Would Monroes or some other brand be better?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Shocks and struts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
Konis are rebuildable, IIRC. KYBs, I don't think so. Both are considered a "performance upgrade".

But if you're satisfied with how the car rides and handles, I wouldn't change anything.
I installed Sensatracs (a more "plebeian" choice) on both of my cars, but they needed replacing, anyway. I liked the way my blue car handled with them, so I followed up with the white car. I don't drive hard, frequently enough, to warrant the reputed stiffness of the performance pieces.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:15:36 am »
Don installed Sensatracs on the rear of my 86.  Now that the handling problems are essentially resolved, I can tell a little more about the shocks.  The front already had relatively new Monroe's up there.  Given the possibility that the car has been lowered and rides stiffer, and the added sway bar package, I still think they do a great job.  In my case, it's probably most noticeable on straight roads when hitting dips, bumps, and the transitions at the ends of bridges.  I think the other suspension modifications may slightly override my senses related to the shocks and struts when negotiating turns and curves. 

Though I do a little more hard driving than Steve, I'm still satisfied with them.  Even the 87 with stock suspension handles extremely well, even on the track.  The front shocks are Monroe, the rear struts are low mileage factory 88 struts. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:29:14 am »
I repaced my low-mileage '88 struts about 3K miles ago.  The bushings were dry-rotted.

I had the Monroe Sensatracks on one vehicle.  They were a bit soft for my liking.