Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A New Direction In My Life  (Read 17156 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: A New Direction In My Life
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 05:58:27 pm »
Just about anything other than low to mid 70's with low humidity is tough on her. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 06:10:46 pm »
I guess she wouldn't like it at my house.  Temp is 78 degrees.

At least restaurant temps are usually that cool, but the humidity is often higher.  I don't remember much of the climate there, but I thought it was warm and humid.

Does Melanie still turn out for RFTH and picnics?

Just today, someone was telling us about a wedding reception he attended, where the couples dance until their anniversary number is called, until only one couple is left.  The MC asked them the secret to so many years of marriage.  The answer?  Live that long.

Some day, I'd like to make it down there, so hang in there.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:27 pm »
She's pretty much housebound.  The oxygen tank required for her to go anywhere just does fit into the top level of the Fiero trunk and a line has to be run to the front.  That tank will only last about 5 hours, then there's the two small tanks on her cart that must be put up in front with her so she can have oxygen when she gets out of the car. 

My truck is well suited to transport everything with a cradle under the rear cover for the big tank, a space under the back seat for 4 mobility tanks that will give her about 4 hours per pair using the pulse conserver regulators, so theoretically, we could be away for maybe 18 hours, round trip in the truck. 

She sometimes comes to meetings, and the last few picnics were held at Redraif's home so she could get inside if needed.  Most sat on the screened porch out of the sun.  She couldn't do that, now. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »
Do you alternate with other people for her care?  Do people come visit for a change of scenery?  You make me think of a book I read long ago.  Probably Heidi.  They brought up a fan, pine needles, and ice to bring  her the scent of the mountain.

Doesn't she (please forgive my use of a pronoun to avoid repeating her name, I don't mean to objectify) get tired of being a captive of the house?  I think it's called stir crazy.

I've often pondered our thin thread of human existence.  I lost a friend who was on his way to his wedding reception, when hit by a driver who had fallen asleep at the wheel.  Another friend who was in the special forces survived years of the worst, came home, was in an accident, and didn't wake up, a few weeks later.  A nephew just didn't wake up.  A girl I knew years ago died in terrible circumstances while we were dancing.  A bunch of guys in my group were subjected to intense gunfire.  3 survived.  A grenade in the mess hall took out several men, and sent many to the hospital.  No warning.  A bomb in the barracks killed one man, mainly because the barracks were empty at the time.  A minute or so previously, it would have been me.  Even tornados pick and choose.

Just to relieve the monotony of being at home, I'd solicit people around the world to send a pic and a story.

Can she still sit and read?

Please don't take any of this as negative.  Melanie is at a different point in her life than I am.  While I can and have stayed inside for days, the thought of having to stay indoors fills me with dread.  Of course, you have grandkids, so seeing them must give her some joy.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
She has her laptop, facebook and pinterest.  Hundreds of friends. She does genealogy research on our families and has traced her ancestry back prior to 1000AD and mine back through about 8 Great Grandfathers on my Father's side.  She knows that she's a Heinz (variety, that is) Swede, Italian, French, German, English, and Mick Mack Indian.  She occasionally does genealogy for other people, too.  She wants to do as much in the house as possible until she asks for help. 

Visitors are usually members from our Sunday School class and we go out once a month for lunch with a group of my past political supporters and colleagues.  We occasionally grocery shop together and sometimes go to lunch with some of my high school classmates.  Doctors visits are a regular outing, most of them some 35 miles away.  Those trips also include a lunch at a New York Deli for a Pastrami on rye sandwich.  She doesn't dwell on the illness or the limitations.  That's what prevents her from becoming stir-crazy.  No outdoor activities. 

The granddaughter is here at least 3 days a week from 3:30 to 9PM and brings her and me a lot of happiness and reason for being here. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 08:52:10 pm »
Hundreds of friends.

She doesn't dwell on the illness or the limitations.

The granddaughter is here at least 3 days a week from 3:30 to 9PM and brings her and me a lot of happiness and reason for being here.

Those are the best parts.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 06:19:16 pm »
That day, I wasn't sure there would be 48.  I admitted her to the hospital on the 8th with a possible life-threatening infection.  Long story, but 10 years ago, they only gave her 6 months.

Sorry.  I meant to follow up on this.  Happy VERY BELATED Anniversary!  Right between August and October.  I remembered last month, but even a bit ago thought it was this month.  You made 48.

I was going to wait until late in the day, then make a comment that I'd guarantee you would make 48.  Oh, well, my road was paved with good intentions.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 08:23:27 pm »
Thank you.  We're trying fot fifty, too (two).

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »
Go for it!  A couple at church has been married for 78 years.  Just giving you a goal to shoot for.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 08:10:55 am »
So I don't forget, later.  I saw this thread today, and for some reason thought of this poem.  Who knows?  Maybe you needed some special thoughts.

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,   
And sorry I could not travel both   
And be one traveler, long I stood   
And looked down one as far as I could   
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,   
And having perhaps the better claim,   
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;   
Though as for that the passing there   
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay   
In leaves no step had trodden black.   
Oh, I kept the first for another day!   
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,   
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh   
Somewhere ages and ages hence:   
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—   
I took the one less traveled by,   
And that has made all the difference.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 04:12:43 pm »
Who pays for the wedding?  My boss' daughter is getting married, and their expected costs are about $30K, which my boss is paying.

My host student is getting married.  $30K seems like a lot.  All three of mine, combined, with halls, 5 caterers, live bands, DJ, choir, organist, cultural dancers, flowers, cakes, drinks, buffalo, limos, photographer, videographers, gong players, 2 sets of wedding outfits for the wedding party (including hand-made dresses for the bridesmaids and a custom dress for the bride), airfare, license, hotels/resorts, church rental, hir dresser/makeup, etc was probably that.  Most people don't have 3 weddings, 500 people, a carriage ride, airfare, cultural dancers, gong players, a full choir, buffalo, or multiple live bands.  My parents paid for the rehearsal dinner, a celebratory meal for the 4 of us, and their own airfare/hotels.  My wife's parents provided labor for setting everything up.

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 01:24:09 am »
This is weird but funny
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530