VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Radio  (Read 16252 times)

gavino

• View Profile
Radio
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:23:02 pm »
Im trying to replace the old radio with a new one does anyone know what kind will fit and work well

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:28:59 pm »
A late 90's - early 00's Pontiac radio looks great in a Fiero, and gives you a CD player. They require an adapter plug to work -- you can get those on ebay, along with the radio, or try http://replacementradios.com/.
If you want to put in an aftermarket radio, get one of these. They look great, especially at night when the "Fiero" lights up.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:34:36 pm »
I have a late model GM radio similar to what TopNotch refers to.  It has a cassette player instead of a CD.  It has theft-lok if you want to activate it.  I have turned it off.  You will have to get the volume/on-off knob.  It/s $6 at a GM dealer, or you can grab one at the local pull-a-part.  $45

The wiring adaptor that allows you to install without cutting your factory harness includes the antenna adaptor, too.  The kit is plug n play and costs $30.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:19:08 am »
im really looking for a newer radio so i really like the mounting kit

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:21:30 pm »
If you put in an aftermarket radio, you will have to break off the support tab that supports the back of a factory radio. This tab is metal, but it is riveted onto a plastic piece. A good yank should break it off.
You need to do this because aftermarket radios fit deeper into the radio cavity than stock radios. The tab will be in the way if you do not break it off.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »
ok thanks

88_4mula

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 04:11:12 pm »
Any single 'din' radio will fit with the proper kit and harness.
Don't break off the tab in the back.
After you mount the radio in the kit, measure the height of the radio from the bottom of the kit.
Cut it with a saw, level as possible. I allways used it as a prop to hold up the back side of the radio.

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:35:02 pm »
is there a kind of radio that works best?

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:24:09 pm »
I put a JENSON AM/FM/CASSETTE in my 85gt, perfect fit, did'nt have to do anything except install mount, that took about 5 minutes, & plug it in.. (The radio pulls out for anti-theft ) I bought it at pep boys, It said it was a direct fit and they were not kidding.. I think it was about $ 90.00... It looks just like a factory installation.... :)