Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Clutch banjo connection to pedal  (Read 14646 times)

PK

• View Profile
Clutch banjo connection to pedal
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:55:21 am »
1986 V6 SE.

I pressed the clutch down to start to drain fuel for filter change and the pedal suddenly gave way and hit the deck.

The pedal had detached from the banjo.  I have not been sitting in to start as the car is up on stands so have probably been a slightly twisted load to clutch pedal ..  doh.

The pictures in Haynes and 22P do not resemble how my pedal attaches.   They show a bush each side and then a metal clip holding the banjo onto the pedal.

I have no metal clip and a single clip type bush that goes around the pedal shaft and through the banjo.  There is nothing else holding the clutch pedal on to the banjo.

Does this description sound familiar to anyone?  I have no idea where I am going to find said clip/bushing thing...gulp.

Any help appreciated.  On a brighter note the fuel filter is done.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Clutch banjo connection to pedal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 11:37:29 am »
Can you post some pictures of what you have?  There were two style pedal shafts that the banjo fit onto.  One was the same size over it's full length and the other had a step where it changed sizes.  I think one of them had an internal bushing in the banjo that had latches on the ends of fingers.  The other style used a hairpin clip to hold the rod on the pedal. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:10:41 pm »
Latches on the ends of the fingers.

Can't post my pics but have done some investigating.

I have the same set up as this guy.  http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/133025.html

And this is the bushing... https://www.fierostore.com/Product/images/enlarge.aspx?eid=64900

I don't like this design. 

Someone mentioned it should also have an R clip on the end but not sure how that would work.

Hopefully I can find this bushing other than Fiero store else it will be a 100dollar bushing.....

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 02:05:39 pm »
I bet you could use an E-clip of the appropriate size instead of the bushing to hold the banjo in place. You can get them (at least here) at hardware stores. You would also need a conventional bushing (also from the hardware store) to fill the space between the pin and the banjo hole.

(ps. I hope this image works. It's from another site.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:09:10 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 02:40:11 pm »
Thanks TN.  I definitely wouldn't just replace the bushing....I quite like living and the idea of depressing the clutch and it detaching and pedal smacking the floor on our small twisty roads does not sound fun.

So the cheapest option of bushing from Fierostore with slow boat postage is 50dollars....which by the time duties etc paid would be 70+ dollars lolzio.

I have e clips and r clips so will definitely be doing something to back up a plastic bushing holding the banjo to pedal....it's just finding something that will work as noubt resembling that bushing comes up in search so far.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 01:37:35 am »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 09:30:26 am »
Interesting, and I'm glad that both you and the person in that thread posted a conclusion.

I'm curious about the difference in clutch pedals.  Why 2 different designs?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 09:44:56 am »
PK, I was just finishing off my first cup of coffee, browsing PFF and found the same post and solution you posted.  Looks like he cut the tips of the fingers off the old bushing and just kept the portion that fits inside the banjo rod. 

When using that stamped spring steel nut shown in the picture, you really need to be sure that you have the banjo rod on with the curl upward.  Those things are real buggers to get off. 

Congratulations.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 05:38:07 pm »
Thanks for looking FF.  I found the PFF thread while perusing Google images...clicked on a useful looking picture and it went straight to that thread.

Other useful thread I found.... Not just a Fiero problem http://www.southernhighrollers.com/tech/articles/tj_clutch.htm

It's a shame this webpage seems abandoned http://www.cheetahonline.com/products-page/pontiac/fiero-aluminum-clutch-pedal-bushing-3/

Half the price of Fiero store if I was happy to risk just a new clip . Which I'm not!!  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corvette-NOS-Hydraulic-Clutch-Main-Cylinder-Bushing-1986-1987-/153496215888

Again I have gained some more Fiero knowledge. . Thanks for the help.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 06:27:46 pm »
I would have thought the Corvette pin and bushing would have been bigger and of the later design but it was used on the '92.  Seems exclusively.  That is the correct bushing.  At least 14094900 crossreferences to the 86 Fiero with the 4-speed transmission.  Here's a GM website with the clutch system diagram.  This diagram shows the same pin you have but it also shows an R clip to hold things in place.  It's my recollection that that style bushing was also supposed to retain the rod on the pin. 

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=393148&ukey_product=2695723

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 09:13:28 am »
..and the jobs a carrot.

For a metric translation...

I used M10 type B (thickness) washers and 8mm e clips.  THIS is a really neat fix and I would do this as matter of course for any car using the terrible plastic finger design .... I say terrible but guess it has lasted 33years.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 10:22:48 am »
I think the problem with the bushings we easily have access to are aftermarket.  There have been some comments on PFF about their quality.  If one could obtain one of the OEM bushings like the one that crossrefences to the '92 Corvette, one might have a better quality product that work as originally intended. 

But even so, it seems like the need for a better solution has provided that solution.  Pix Of Your Fix, please. 

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 11:27:03 am »
Even if I had a brand new everything, I wouldn't go back to the original specification.

At some point with another order, I will replace that bushing/retainer as the original is worn.  Or I may even stumble across a suitable alternative as the jeep guy in the linky dink did.

I do take pics of all my Fiero fettling as my terrible memory won't recall.  No way of posting pics as only tellingbone access but it looks just like the PFF pics.

I had a choice of 1/2" washers that were thick and require only one e clip or M10 washers and 2 e clips.  The thin washers and 2 e clips seemed to fit betterer so I went with that.  I also cleaned the banjo rod to reduce any friction as it passes through the bulk head rubber boot as it had some detritus on it.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:37:34 am by PK »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 10:28:29 pm »
Email a picture to me and I'll insert it into your post.