Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Landslide!  (Read 13863 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Landslide!
« on: September 22, 2019, 09:12:36 am »
I think I overheated my brakes pretty good.  Rounding a turn, the entire hill seemed to be headed my way.  I was at a good clip, heading downhill.  The road was paved, but then there was no road.

Anyway, I slipped it into neutral, and held the brake.  Although effort was made not to lock up the brakes, I could feel it slipping on the gravel, occasionally.  Sometimes, I let the Fiero roll for a while, to stay away from the ground coming my way.  The Fiero came to a stop a ways from where the road used to be.  Since going back up was not looking like an option, I drove out the bottom.

My Fiero appears to be OK (just dusty), but when I get on the brakes, they pulse.  I cannot swear that I feel it in the pedal, but I sure feel it in the car, and the sound is audible.

Sound like warped rotors?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Landslide!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 03:42:30 pm »
If you only feel it when applying the brakes, the most likely thing is the rotor, but you could also have damaged some of the steering components that will let the wheel wobble.  Maybe the tie rod or tire rod end. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Landslide!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 03:52:50 pm »
Well, that had not occurred to me, but the front end is tight.  The rears actually seem to be the issue.  No tie rods there.  The rear end feels tight, so I think the links are OK.

Is it possible to warp only the rear rotors?