Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 21425 times)

Oval311

Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:37 pm »
yeah i have the a/c on but only because the fan won't turn on unless the a/c is running. so what i should have asked is, "my fan won't turn on unless the a/c is running what do i do!??!?!" hahaha

and where are these twisty roads you speak of?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 08:10:43 pm »
Your fan doesn't turn on unless the AC or defroster is on!  What do you do?  Rejoice that you burped the system correctly and it's not overheating.  It's not supposed to run at any other time.

Seriously, though.  Pat suggestion is one possible cause.  If it is overheating, and the fan doesn't come on it could be the fan switch or relay. 

Run For The Hills 14 will be just over the border of the northeast corner of Georgia, in North Carolina.  Information is on the home page, at the very top.  It's this Friday thru Sunday.   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Oval311

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 08:21:34 pm »
so let me get this straight, the radiator fan doesn't run at all unless the a/c or defroster is on?

Jam Clich

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:11 pm »
No, the fan is set to run when the temperature reaches a certain point. 220 if I recall. It will also run if you turn on your AC/Defrost. My 87 GT had the same overheating problem before. My temperature switch stopped working and my fan motor broke. After replacing the motor, I just ran with my AC on.
Beware of Nazi Bananas; you never know when Fascist fruit will attempt world domination.

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 08:38:48 pm »
The fan switch is located next to the thermostat housing it has a single green wire with a black connector. You can get a new one for about $14.00. The fan relay is located in front of the drivers side headlight.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:02 pm »
My temperature switch stopped working
I have one of Rodney Dickman's 200/210 degree fan switches that I was going offer as a drawing prize for the run. But if you need it, you can have it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Oval311

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 09:11:49 pm »
is it hard to burp the fiero's coolant system or something?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 09:25:11 pm »
I didn't state it clearly.  The fan should run only if the engine is over heating, or when the AC or defroster is on. 

Burping the system isn't hard, but there is a prescribed step by step procedure.  Some try to fill the system at the radiator.  Because the engine is higher than the radiator, this leaves a bunch of air in the engine. 

Fill the radiator and recovery tank.  Remove the thermostat cap, lift out the thermostat, and fill the engine to the top of the hose outlet.  Raplace the cap.  Start the engine and let it run for about 5-10 minutes.  This will bring all the air to the high point--The thermostat housing.  Carefully remove the thermostat cap, top off to the top of the hose outlet, reinstall the thermostat and cap.  Check the recovery tank to see that it's up to the HOT marker line.

You do not need to run the heater during this process since Fieros have a full-time circulation through the heater core and the temp is controlled by a mixer flap inside the heater plenum. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 09:27:21 pm »
Here's the way I burp mine (assuming it's been drained, and I'm re-filling it).
1) With both the radiator and thermostat cap off, and thermostat out, begin filling the system (with a 50-50 water/coolant mixture) at the thermostat tube until coolant flows out the radiator opening.
2) Install the radiator cap and continue filling until it seems to be full.
3) With the thermostat still out, install the thermostat cap to the first click, and run the engine a few seconds.
4) Remove the thermostat cap and re-fill.
5) Repeat 3 and 4 until you can't add any more coolant mixture.
6) Install thermostat, install thermostat cap fully, fill overflow bottle to the proper level, and drive the car.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:29:43 pm by TopNotch »

Oval311

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 10:08:35 pm »
i found the same steps on the online fiero service guide. don't know if any of ya'll refer to this website, but i found it quite useful.

You guys sure do know alot about fieros.

I've got a couple more things i gotta do to get my fiero running the way i want it to. first, i haven't had working a/c for awhile apparently there's a freon leak somewhere in the system. i know this isn't a job i can't take on myself so where would be the cheapest place to take it to get it checked out? second, my headliner started caving in on me and it's starting to piss me off lol. cheap upholstry shop suggestions anyone?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 05:45:46 pm »
I've used Headliner Enterprises for several headliners.  It's a mobile service that will come to you.  Jesse Cone is the guy.  770-382-5793-Office, 678-986-6206-Cell. 

There's also Charlene's Auto Trim in Bethlehem, Ga. out Hwy 316 toward Athens.  She does great work.  Specializes in Antiques, Classics and Aircraft.  770-867-7186

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »
The cheapest way to fix your headliner would be to get some appropriate colored headliner material from JC Whitney and some good contact cement. Remove your head board, remove all the old cloth and gunk, apply contact cement and the new material.