Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fair, or not fair?  (Read 13943 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Fair, or not fair?
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:49:08 pm »
30+ years ago, I entered in a lot of competitions.  Dog obedience, foot racing, stock car racing, shooting, etc.

In racing, I raced in several series.  The rules were that the winner of a given series could not race that series, the following year, so I usually raced alternate years.  Over the years, I accumulated a lot of wins, but also set some time records.  This was fine, for the first few years, but eventually presented a problem: I couldn't break my records.  So, the pace slowed to a stop.  3 years, I equalled my records to the thousandth of a second.

Since that time, some rules have changed, making it nearly impossible to run those times.  Because of the old rules, I never raced some of my contemporaries, being that we sat out alternate years.  I could not afford to run in a touring series, so I ran all local races.  They could not get a touring contract, so always ended up back in the local series.

The question came up, who among us was the best?  I have no interest in going back to race them, since they have run those races in the last 30+ years, and I have not.  I think it is fair to compare results from those years.  We ran the same series, on the same tracks, with the same rules, during the same years--just not on the track at the same time.  In fact, there were heat races, which is why times were so important.  The others seem to disagree.  Of course, I think it's in my best interest to let my records stand.  I could not beat them then, and now no one can beat them.  I hardly think it's fair for me to race against people who have remained in racing, when I have not.  I kindof put auto racing behind me.  Not only have I changed, the rules changed, the cars changed, and the tracks changed.  I might not even be competitive.

Which is fair?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fair, or not fair?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 10:22:59 pm »
They can't force you to go back and race.  Let the record stand.  That kind of parallels doing away with America's historical markers and names of places and roads. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »
Well, you and I both know that the series will eventually be eliminated, or the records will be erased, or whatever, so they will probably be gone within 50 years, whether they are broken or not.

I told them that, if they wanted to race against me, they needed to have done it while I was racing, and they missed their chance.  I have nothing to prove.  At my age, no one is going to hire me as a race car driver.  There is nothing in it for me.

The records were great, but it sure is irritating when you realize that you're competing against yourself.  After some races, they'd tell me that my time was second.  I was sure I left nothing on the table, so I'd ask, "To whom?".  When they told me to myself, I was less than thrilled.  At least, no one could accuse me of sandbagging.

BTW, they do change the names of places and roads, they destroy statues.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:13:50 am »
We ended up racing.  Houseflies.  I won.